Skimmer pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well the little atmans are out of stock at nuocean so I decided to try and mod a mj. I think I came up with a way to get rid of the axle. Add a disc impeller about 1/8" thick with mesh and get rid of the axle thing in the volute inlet. If it woks for the mj it should work with most small pumps. Just need to make some little cutters for the micro lathe.

Don

the mod you see on the small askoll/aquaclear pump could be reproduced for alot of different small pumps, the maxi-jet 1200 included...
I'm thinking with a rebuilt wet-end like that, you might get 400lph out of a mj-1200.
the beauty of the small aquaclear is that it doesn't have the top of the impeller fastened in the volute, it fastens on the impeller well and leaves the volute open, which is better for modding obviously, also the outlet being on the volute instead of the pump body is better for modding too.

the mod you see on the small askoll/aquaclear pump could be reproduced for alot of different small pumps, the maxi-jet 1200 included...
I'm thinking with a rebuilt wet-end like that, you might get 400lph out of a mj-1200.
the beauty of the small aquaclear is that it doesn't have the top of the impeller fastened in the volute, it fastens on the impeller well and leaves the volute open, which is better for modding obviously, also the outlet being on the volute instead of the pump body is better for modding too.

My understanding was only the monster sized 1500 askoll had no axle. The aquaclear 110 / askoll 1500 was what I thought was the smallest. Is this not true?

Don

if i remember correctly, it has one, but it only comes up from the bottom, it doesnt go all the way to the top on that pump. i may be mistaking my pumps though as this is from memory of a year or 2 ago...luke???

The askoll's 1500 max flo's are higher have an impeller that is fixed on the motorblock so there balanced and stay put. All models smaller are just regular meaning the top of the impeller fits in the volute cover. Here's a pic of the 1500.

100_3364.jpg

And here's the impeller with balancer on it. Which fastens and keeps it connected to the motorblock. If only all pump's were like it!

100_2747-2.jpg

Not sure Mark. If they are then they would be great little pump's. The 900gph aquaclear i have needs top shaft support from the volute cover.

sorry for OT, speaking of hahnmeister, anyone know which forum does he go?

Yeah mate, last thing i heard he was on Zeo. but never see him around.

I know, thats a funny av :D

Last i talked to him he was starting his own forum. He's been pretty scarce the last few mths. Pry burnt of forum's.

thanks Luke, i just want to see his DIY stuffs again. I think this is something that i've been missing for hte last few months.

Not sure Mark. If they are then they would be great little pump's. The 900gph aquaclear i have needs top shaft support from the volute cover.

I called a local pond place. They say the samaller ones all have a axle now. They were changed some time ago to the axle design. I machined bearings for a mj400 and it runs great without the volute installed with no rattling. I guess if it runs for a week or so then i'll order a mj1200 and do a mesh wheel. The new bearing are press fit right into the housing and on the magnet with no modification. I used uhmw and am going to make a set of nylon ones this weekend to see which last longer.

Don

Don, could you post some pics of this when your done. The aquaclears look to be a nice little pump now. Could be used across the board with any size skimmers.

Back