Slate's 125gal build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

UPS just delivered my goodies I ordered on Amazon!! Since snow kept me from driving down to Moscow for school today I think I am going to go check out the new LFS in Hayden.

P1010013.jpg

Got the tank full of water. I am now adding salt and adjusting my ATO and powerheads a little. Going to be staring at a sand cloud for a few days but I figured on that so no biggie. The wifey and I have been dreaming about livestock lists for this puppy :bounce:.

Progress Update:

The water is still super cloudy but hopefully will clear up before next weekend. If not I will just put up some filter socks and go that route and postpone moving stuff over another week. I also need to move my powerheads from the back of the tank to the sides. I can't turn them enough on the back and the stream hits the middle of the front glass and digs out the sand below more then I would like. So I just gotta sacrifice looks for function.

Well the tank is still cloudy and I realized I am not really set up for filter socks....so I am trying to figure out another method to speed this process up a bit.

Well, I just found another reason why the tank is so cloudy....Apparently even though I moved the powerheads I head them set so they were still digging in the sand. I couldn't see anything in the tank really and today it has cleared up enough to see a little ways in. So I figured I would smooth back out some of the sand to kick up the dust now rather than later. Well I put the little sand sifter tool I had towards the back center and I felt no sand just glass . Apparently I stopped them digging in front just to make them dig in the back lmao. So I now shut them off till I can actually see when they do when I set them...I think they were just pointed a little too low is all but I had no idea till today. Well at least I will get all the fine particles skimmed out.....sigh

Update:

I made some real progress last night! I can actually see everything in the tank and it is just a little cloudy now. I am going to work on fixing the sand a little more today and probably move over another couple pieces of rock from the 55gallon. I should be able to get everything moved over from the 55gallon by Wednesday night if all goes well. Then I am hoping to make a reefcleaners order that will be delivered Thurs the 17th.

THE TANK IS CLEAR!

Got out of bed today to see a clear tank and a full skimmer cup lol. I will take a picture when the lights come on before I go stirring it up again by cleaning the back wall, powerheads, and the rocks. Even after that stir up I suspect it will clear again by this evening. Too bad I have so much school stuff to do tonight.

Here I go clouding up the tank again as I aquascape. I got most of one of the two mountains together. Just letting it clear up a little before I jump back in.
P1010027.jpg

Pulling rock out of the 55gallon. I caught the Emerald Crab so he is in a holding cell so I don't get pinched and he doesn't get smashed lol.
P1010029.jpg

So I got the skimmer running wet and went to watch a TV show while the dust cloud went away so I could continue. I get back and some snail climbed to the tank of the mountain and started spawning.......it was like he climbed up there to give me the middle finger.

Argh, well i just found out why my Fire Shrimp liked having his cave in under the same rock the RBTA is on. Apparently there is a giant hole in the bottom of that rock he can climb off the way up......he is now in the new tank and now I have to make sure I set this rock so he doesn't get trapped, and make sure I don't squish the nem. Pain in the neck livestock lol

Here are some pictures of the tank as it stands now. Most of the corals are not where they will end up I just kind of put them wherever last night because it was getting late. I also didn't spend much time cleaning the glass so there is silt on the inside glass, and as usual my camera is horrible so these pics are not the greatest by any means (I also had to darken some of pics with the camera, it isn't the lighting).

I ran to Barbie's shop today and picked up the perfect rock to top my mountain that was short one.
newrock.jpg

FTS before adding the new rock piece.
ftsprerock.jpg

Right rock mountain before the new rock.
prerock.jpg

Right rock mountain after the new rock.
afterrock.jpg

Left rock mountain (please excuse the zip ties I used to keep it safe. I will hide them later with corals :).)
leftpile.jpg

FTS after adding the new rock.
FTS.jpg

WOW, it's coming together and looking amazing!!! Look at all those holes in the rocks, just screaming "Stick a coral in me!" Come by and pick out a few, when you're in the area!!!

Thanks Michael, you will have to come to the meeting Saturday so Joanne can hand me that bulb so I can hand it to you lol.

Back