Socal reefer considering moving to seattle area.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dkreef

Hey guys, im thinkin of movin to seattle burbs. i will be leaving all the great stores and wholesalers here but im glad i found another club up there.

im gonna head out in feb and check it out before i make my decision.
i was wonderin if anyone here can suggest a great suburb to live where it has affordable homes(400ks), good shopping, restaurants, safe, good school district and great growing city?

also does anyone a dentist here? i am and i wish to get some infos on dental practice.

anyway hello to all...

places that i have researched so far and liked are these(due to affordability, safety, etc):
Bothell, Lynwood, Issaquah(maybe), puyallup

Not sure cuz of crime rate
Renton, Auburn, Kent, Tacoma

Wanted but not cuz of high cost:
Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmonds

Anyone who can give me their opinion on each of these places would be appreciated. also if you know which area has good potential for opening a dental office. thanks

Welcome! I am in Puyallup and have lived here for 10 years. It is a great little community with wonderful schools, lots of shopping, good growth potential and affordable homes. We love it here.

Susie :)

how does puyallup compare to tacoma areas or auburn, kent?
thanks

any other opinions on other cities?

ps. do u guys notice a lot of dental offices in that area?

Price goes way up in king county, where Auburn and Kent are. Tacoma will have a higher crime rate....but there are better area's than some in tacoma.....
Puyallup has a smaller town atmosphere, yet still fairly close to everything.

I never have paid attention to how many dentists office's there are here....sorry

There are a reasonable amount of dentists... But NONE with good REEF TANKS!!! Come, join us in Puyallup! :D If you need help looking around when you're in town just drop us a line.

Susie :)

places that i have researched so far and liked are these(due to affordability, safety, etc):
Bothell, Lynwood, Issaquah(maybe), puyallup

Not sure cuz of crime rate
Renton, Auburn, Kent, Tacoma

Wanted but not cuz of high cost:
Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmonds

Anyone who can give me their opinion on each of these places would be appreciated. also if you know which area has good potential for opening a dental office. thanks

I agree with all of dkreef's recomendations.. I would also add Mill Creek and Woodenville as nice locations with good shops/stores/neigborhoods and that you can still find nice houses in the 400's if you search well enough.

Re: Dentists.. I like and would recomend Chrisafulli Dental to anyone needing a good dentist. They are in Bothell. I'd recomend against Wallingford dental as they charged me more than they quoted once and also forgot to call me when they needed to cancel my appt.

We have a really nice, interactive club up here with lots of fun events. Hopefully you like it when you come out to visit.

thanks for everyones response...wow u guys are great,

there is no doubt i will have a saltwater tank in my office if i open my practice. and for sure at least 300gal-500gal reef at home. this time i can actually go with bunch of 400w MHs hehe (electric bill in socal can cost $500/month in summer easily with reef tank).

only thing i need to figure out is where to settle.

guys which of the areas i mentioned are considered booming places?
which ones are new and growing areas? thanks

Personally I would avoid the south end because of traffic. It totally depends on where you're commuting to, but I lived in Kent for several years and the commute to either the eastside or to Seattle was horrendous then and is even worse now.

Whatever your choice, I advise trying to live as close as possible to where you're going to work. The traffic here is horrible and is only going to get worse as the population grows. Public transportation is a joke unless you work downtown and there are few meaningful road improvements on the horizon that will make any difference by the time they are completed.

Also the Northshore school district (Woodinville/Bothell) is one of the best IIRC.

how does puyallup compare to tacoma areas or auburn, kent?
thanks

any other opinions on other cities?

ps. do u guys notice a lot of dental offices in that area?

Stay out of kent some areas are nice but most suck. I moved from so cal to kent and man was I suprised at how bad kent was I am in the hills of auburn now which is nice. I am looking to buy a house in Issaquah. Puyallup is a little far out if you are used to cities Tacoma is like Oakland CA.

The dental office right in front of Barrier Reef has a lovely reef tank visible from the parking lot... :)

I think the Mill Creek/Woodinville area is a great one too. It's a bit less expensive than the "East" side but still has that swanky high end feel; a great area for those rich people needing a dentist. :)

PS: Depending on when you come in February, our meeting will be the third Saturday probably at 6pm. Come check us out and listen to Frank Marini. :)

wow so many ppl from Socal moved there. how do u guys like it there? i was warned of many many cloudy rainy days and some depressions.

but then they all say how beautiful it is there also. i know that business is much better there for sure.

hey does WA have state income tax? if so how much?
thanks

wow so many ppl from Socal moved there. how do u guys like it there? i was warned of many many cloudy rainy days and some depressions.

but then they all say how beautiful it is there also. i know that business is much better there for sure.

hey does WA have state income tax? if so how much?
thanks

I just noticed your from the OC Move to Bellevue you will be happy there. Yes it is very pretty here the traffic sucks and not to be an ass but the drivers here are rude as hell especially on the 405 but I am on the road a lot for my job so maybe I notice it more. Its just sad when I think LA drivers where more courteous :badgrin:.

There is no infrastructure road wise to speak of so traffic is a nightmare its like driving the 10 out of LA during rush hour next to the 60 interchange. Or worse yet much like the 110 by the 101. Also I do not know what the heck some of the cities out here are thinking I.E. Kent, Tukwila when it comes to timing there lights for rush hour it just seems like they don’t :( so expect to wait through two greens :mad: before you can go Seattle is the same way. Don’t even get me started on street signs you can’t read, no addresses ANYWHERE!!!
Or the fact that every street out here is schizophrenic and has like 20 names depending on what part of it you are on.

It rains a lot but this is my first winter and it has been the worst in ten years I hear. I think every one just says that to make me feel better :lol: The air is clean which took me a while to get used to I was always taught not to trust air you cant see. The water is great and it’s a lot slower out here that’s taking me a while to get used to as well. Hope this helps I am not trying to sound negative this is just one transplanted southern Californians view on the state there are many great things you will enjoy here. Traffic is not one The 520 how ever rocks at night during high winds its like the worlds only floating carwash.

No income tax, but high property and sales taxes.

They are high, but not out of line with a lot of other states I don't think. My property tax (King County) is about 1% of my house value. I would bet that's the highest in the state. Sales tax varies slightly but is around 8.8%.

I think you would get a better value on real estate in the southend, but as I mentioned before I prefer not to live there because of the traffic. Personal preference only.

Don’t even get me started on street signs you can’t read, no addresses ANYWHERE!!!
Or the fact that every street out here is schizophrenic and has like 20 names depending on what part of it you are on.

That is too funny! You put into exactly the right words how I felt when I moved here (Kent/Covington area, 13 years ago)... I guess it's still true. Also, how can 220th St. SE meet SW 220th St all in the same intersection??? It's just wrong!

Then you have to remember if you move in the winter that it's dark by about 4:00 pm. That really makes it a whole different world out there :eek: .

Back