Sony playstation for Blue Ray?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I see they have a PS3 160GB unit out now, think it is worth the extra $100 for it?
From what I've read they won't go down on price for Christmas, :( I was sorta hoping they would go down like X-Box.

From what I've read, you'll basically be paying for a bigger hard drive, which in my opinion isn't needed, but it's your call.

There are actually multiple versions of the PS3 some with backwards compatability and some without. It looks like they are leaning away from backwards compatability with the new models of PS3 out there now. The 40gb like I have doesn't have it. We use the PS2 for our PS2 games. The 80gb with 4 USB ports has some backwards compatability, The 80 gb with 2 USB ports doesn't have it. The 160gb doesn't have it. The old 60gb PS3 had full backwards compatability, but they don't sell it in stores anymore. Kinda frusterating. Here's a site showing the different models. If you can find a 80gb with 4 USB ports, I'd get that one. I'm not sure if the stores still sell it or not. The wiki for PS3 says it's still in production. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
If you don't care about the backwards compatability, I'd just get the cheapest one they offer.

Anyway when it comes down to Blue Ray Player vs PS3, I still think PS3 is the way to go because you get both. It bums me out that they are taking backwards compatability out of their machines though, but for the those with the PS2, they are still making the games and they are still on store shelfs. I just hope Sony supports PS3 games with whatever they come up with next.

Microsoft removed the old XBox games from store shelfs, but added backwards compatability to their machines...go figure. You still don't get a blue ray player with this machine though.

I have had my xbox 360 20 gig since launch day nov 2005 and i still have 10.6 gigs left on it. I have about 20 xbox live arcade games on it and then all of the game saves. If you plan on putting a ton of music and a ton of pictures then maybe get the bigger hard drive. Or you could use that extra $100 bucks and get a few blu ray movies :) :) :)

IMO it is not worth spending an extra $100 bucks. 80g is plenty space for you. Like Brady says unless you plan on down loading butt loads of music, movies, games ect. ect. ect.. I have so much games saved, down loaded so many games and movies to the 360 I still have 8g available. Besides when ever you want to free up some space just delete the things you no longer need from the HD.

It seems to be that you can open it up & add a bigger Hd from what it seems like on E-bay! I found this one guy saying he upgrades it to 360gb, so I think I'll consider the 80gb for the price. It is sad they removed two USB ports & backward comparability on the last issue. Why is it they have to be so nit picky & want to charge for every single little thing? I have the regular X-box so that won't be an issue but it is just the idea they do that!

HERES THE BOTTOM LINE...if ur plasma is only 720p then blue ray doesnt matter cuz 720 cant even display the output fully it. it will just make it look like hd. if u have 1080p then thats when it counts. so if you have 720 get a xbox that had hd in it if u have 1080 then definately go with the ps3 for the blu ray. thats the easiest way to make the choice.

well as game geeks that we are in the house and having some of the game systems out there, i'd go with the Wii :lol: :lol: .

ps3 is just ok, we only got it because of the blue ray, but to be honest...to many bottons (for me it needs to be easy ok :p), you gotta download the game which i think it's silly, as far as i know, you can't see what other gamers' scores are :D (yes i'm nosy woman :lol: ) and overall i just feel like blah with the ps3 .

xbox 360 is way much better in many ways :D :lol: ...i just love it....sorry but ps3 can't compete:rolleyes::lol::)

Well I do have HD plasma so Blue Ray is a big advantage, also better graphics. I think Sony will eventually catch up on the amount of games as they always have. I'm not going to get the unit till closer to Christmas, maybe get a better price!

Well this girl is going to chime in lol. I am one of the few girls obsessed with gaming :) Ok for a Blue Ray I would go with the PS3 (ouch that hurt to say). Yeah it's a Blue Ray player with the bonus it can play games lol. As far as gaming Xbox 360 is the way to go lol. Best of both worlds would be to get both :) Ok thinking about 360 has got me itching to play some RSV2.

wasn't xbox gonna come out with a blue player too?
i believe i heard something about it and if thats the case if i was you, i'd get the xbox :lol: :D:p

Xbox 360 did come out with a competitor to the Blue Ray awhile ago called HD DVD but..... Blue Ray won. The likely hood that Microsoft is going to be able to incorporate a Blue Ray player into the Xbox system is pretty much not going to happen lol Microsoft and Sony just don't mix lol.

I'll make you a bet, if Microsoft incorporates Blu ray into their next system I'll buy it for you. But if they don't, you buy me the choice of Sony or Microsoft's new gaming system. :D

HERES THE BOTTOM LINE...if ur plasma is only 720p then blue ray doesnt matter cuz 720 cant even display the output fully it. it will just make it look like hd. if u have 1080p then thats when it counts. so if you have 720 get a xbox that had hd in it if u have 1080 then definately go with the ps3 for the blu ray. thats the easiest way to make the choice.

make sure your tv can handle 1080p not 1080i. bigg difference when your watching bluray. progressive yeah, interlace no.

So why do you like X-Box over Sony?
1) I have a 50" Panasonic plasma HD 1080P (BTW) Panasonic started making the plasmas for Pioneer for a while now but recently took over the entire unit build.
2) Blue Ray
3) Better quality Graphics

Amount of games is coming up & I don't have time to play on-line all day, so I'll be playing mainly single mode only a few hours at a time!
So the X-Box people I want to know why, also how much heat or problems have you been having with any of the games?

i bought the intercooler for my playstation but not the x box. they both produce a ton of heat so i think it is a good investment at 29.95

So why do you like X-Box over Sony?
1) I have a 50" Panasonic plasma HD 1080P (BTW) Panasonic started making the plasmas for Pioneer for a while now but recently took over the entire unit build.
2) Blue Ray
3) Better quality Graphics

Amount of games is coming up & I don't have time to play on-line all day, so I'll be playing mainly single mode only a few hours at a time!
So the X-Box people I want to know why, also how much heat or problems have you been having with any of the games?

i don't have an xbox and was always a sony fan. even back in the days of betamax. i dont know much about the games and own a few; even still have the plastic wrap on them. im more of a home theater type of guy.
as for heat issues i installed computer fans in my cabinet to solve that issue.

..wait till you watch transformers on your 50 inches of plazma

Back