Speakers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Like Colleen said, let the speaker choose. Just let us know which so we dont offer it up for anything else :)

Great work Ed!!!

Message sent ...

Like Colleen said, let the speaker choose. Just let us know which so we dont offer it up for anything else :)

Great work Ed!!!

Randy,
You did most the work. Good Job back at ya!:)

I sent a email asking Mitch which date would work for him as asked.
I am betting we are going to be watching a presentation on how to prevent pest from occuring in reef aquariums. :)

Sweet!! :)

Keep on the look out for some one to come demo DIY calcium and/or Kalk reactors....I think if we can find someone willing to share their wisdom....we would have a good crowd......we could do the same kinda thing as the PH mods.....people can order the parts a head of time and we could have stations to help put together......

here is feedback from Mitch...
Hey Ed, funny but I just got asked to speak to another club in Washington! I’ve never been to Washington and now I might go twice!

You guys really plan ahead. I don’t have much of a clue what I’ll be doing during those months in 2008, but I bet I could fit that in. So, sounds good to me and thanks for the offer.

Mitch

Do we want to shoot for February 2008?

Okay say I read through the last few pages of the post and lets see if I got this straight

No summer speakers
Jame Fartheree in September of 2007
Mitch Carl. Omahas Zoo Aquarium Jan or Feb

so we need: oct, nov, dec, jan or feb, mar, apr

Colleen

You and I talked once about Marc from Melevs reef to come out and do a presentation on DIY sump and working with acrylic. He is still willing to do it. I havnt got the details from him yet.

Well let's wait on that, we have a few irons in the fire, let's sketch out what we have and see where we are. It's tough getting speakers, and I'd like to give Delbeek another shot.... he is hard to pin down though.

Thanks for getting involved Ken, I knew you could do it. :)

So I got a reply from Marc today.

Hi Ken,

Our club normally pays a speaker honorarium ($100 or $200 depending on the speaker) and cover all their travel expenses & needs during their stay.

In my case, I'm happy to stay with a local hobbyist rather than stay at a hotel which should save money. A small honorarium would be nice if your club feels so inclined. The flight, parking fees, meals ... I think that would be the expenses.

Does that sound okay?

Marc

We are going to have to have Randy think about this.

In the passed three years since I have been involved, we have had ONE "honorarium" aka "speaker fee" and that was for Eric Borneman. I believe there are many speakers out there who do not charge a fee. For example, Anthony Calfo has spoken twice, and never charged. When you add in the room fee ($200); airfare (APPROX $350) and a speaker fee PLUS meals, that is alot of money.

I would be inclined to say no if it were my call, but my call is soon up and it will be Randy's.

Colleen, I heard from Anthony Calfo. He is booked until 2009. He is only doing one meeting per month because of family and finances. He said he could be pusuaded if someone could pay 500 dollar speaker fee. He needs money for projects. If only he could stay with someone in Seattle area and fly Southwest special?

I heard from Chis Brightwell. He is a chemist that started a new company.
He would like to visit in future. He would like to go fly fishing if possible.
Chris use to work for Kent. Chris owns Brightwell Aquatics. I think we will be hearing from him lots in coming year.

Well $500 is a bit steep. Who is Cris Brightwell? I think it would be cool if we could get more newcomers; such as the guy who bailed us out in May. Sorry my mind is soup.... I hurt my back Sunday morning, and had a demerol shot yesterday and so much new drugs i literally can't think straight. Went to PT this afternoon and had some electrical stimulation. Woohoo I was walking upright and smiling on the way out. Wonder if I can find one of those on ebay. :)

I think I pmed him here. I will pm him again. I will check, if not I will do so.

Fatheree wanted to confirm today. He said he looked at forum and date was wrong he was concerned with confusion. Can we fix that for the 22nd or 23rd? The Saturday, I do not have a calender in front of me please?

I told James we were raffling off Tank. I said it was still a go and we were excited to see him. He should be awesome! This should be a super time.
I am like a little kid, I want to see him. he he...

Ok, I will work on Lee. I will also make a attempt to contact Dave we discussed at Meeting. Chris Brightwell said he would like to come out and go fly fishing. That is what he asked of me. I love fishing but I am Eastern side of State, lol. We want to keep those speakers happy. I would rather go fishing than pay a fee, at least that is all he asked.

Maybe we can get a someone to sponsor us for Calfo. What are your ideas of having something to raffle at each meeting? Midcolumbia made a lot of money this year doing that. Its just a Idea.

Ed

Last edited:
Let's wait for Randy to pipe up too.

i thought James was confirmed, the weekend following MACNA. Do we need these guys to write in blood or what? The 4th Saturday in September is the 22nd.

Let's wait for Randy to pipe up too.

i thought James was confirmed, the weekend following MACNA. Do we need these guys to write in blood or what? The 4th Saturday in September is the 22nd.

He does Clams, lol. I confirmed him for 22nd. This guy should be awesome. I also sent you the email he sent me so we are all on the same page. :)

Calfo is a definate NO if he is charging $500!!! plus air, hotel, and classroom that would be 1000-1300 dollars, no sponsor is going to pay that kind of money....We definatly are not....

Colleen...what if we just make you secretary????? your going to be doing the evites and such anyways....???? :D :D

Back