Steel cages stimulate coral growth in Maldives (08/18/2009)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am sorry. Its a link for my work. I will copy it for you.

Here ya go:

OCEANS: Steel cages stimulate coral growth in Maldives (08/18/2009)

A team of researchers in the Maldives has greatly accelerated coral growth through the use of electrified underwater steel cages, including, most recently, a 2-ton steel mammoth called the Lotus that spurred growth rates to five times the normal rate, they said.

Coral reefs support a quarter of the life on Earth and are particularly sensitive to increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide. While cages like the Lotus are not expected to solve the problem of contracting reefs, the projects have revitalized small-scale reefs and rescued resorts where coral was fast disappearing.

The Lotus was submerged off the coast of the Maldives' Vabbinfaru island, where 98 percent of the reef died during the El Niño warming phenomenon in 1998. The steel cage is lightly electrified, which triggers a chemical reaction that results in calcium carbonate coming out of solution in the water to rest on it. Coral forms using calcium carbonate.

The Lotus has become so covered with reef formations that its original structure is difficult to see. However, due to its cost, projects like the Lotus will likely remain the domain of small-scale research, many experts say.

Robert Tomasetti, a marine biologist based in Vabbinfaru, said he would like to do genetic analyses of the heat-tolerant coral, but lacks the equipment.

"So we're really just growing pretty reefs for the tourists," while doing little to protect the island, he said (Gaia Vince, London Guardian, Aug. 16). -- PV

ClimateWire Headlines

Thank you for the heads up.:)

Here I wonder why no one has hooked up a Wave Generator and or with solar to generate all electricity for free and just coral farm this way. One could see some of the local aquaculture places doing this say Pacific East or some other facility.

Wonder why no-one yet has jumped on this as The Wave generators are working ?
I Have seen several articles over the years but did not keep track of them.
But here's one local.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/2008/Oct08/oceantest.html

:-o

Paul

Back