stupid questions from the new guy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

actually, since it's the end of the semester, and i'm days and days behind, i haven't had time to switch food yet, so i'm still giving it the ol' freezerated sea-monkeys. it seems to like it just fine. since the piece will never be a proper show piece (about half of it is skeletonized), i'll probably stick with that, as it is easier. for the most part, i wanted to learn how to handle the lil' fella so i could more confidently handle a better piece later.

lynde, if i could make a suggestion, leave your bottle as tall as you can. this allows for more dispersion by the time the food gets to the coral. a bit of air-tubing fits the seringe from a test kit well.

the only problem i forsee is that this method wastes a lot of food, which then sits in the tank and decomposes...

how often does this little orange monster really need fed?

I would suggest Mysis Shrimpt too, Krill is excellent but bigger than Mysis... Brine is like candy, I have a block that I'm working through, but I wouldn't buy it again, not enough nutritional value.

I don't know if you do this, but thawing and rinsing your frozen food is the best way to feed. There are phosphates in the "thaw" water and it will add detrimental goddies which will cause algae blooms. You can just rinse the shrimp in a net (preferably with RO/DI water) and baste it in.

I feed mine a couple (2-3) times a week.

as for the tubing I was going to tweak that a bit and just use my turkey baster right into the hole in the cap, attempt to keep the food suspended and then try and suck the excess back out.
so I'm going to say that shorter would be better for what I plan

sounds good in theory, will see how it works in real life.;)

T

tsuyoshi

Your from Bloomington? My sister lives in Normal. You must go to ISU. Understandable that your broke since your a college student. Hopeefully you'll finish school, get a good job, make alot of money, then you can afford more corals! Good luck!

I have a sun coral and the polyps open in the last couple of hours that my MH is on.
It started this after I moved it to a place lower in my tank and after a couple of weeks it started this regularly. In the other location the polyps would only open a couple at a time.

guru, yeah, i'm an isu student. but i study chinese history, so, as to making any money, it's unlikely...i don't know what i'm gonna do with my tank when i complete my undergrad work and head to china for a coupla years...can't really take it with me, ya know?

keeper, in regards tothe sun, i'm having the same experience. moving the piece away from the light and positioning it to have a better water flow, combined with more active feeding has improved its condition tenfold!

Back