Tackling noise problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trc_pdx

Messing around with an in-cabinet wet/dry under a bottom-drilled 90g with one 3/4" return and two 1" drains. Feeding the drains are dual Durso-style standpipes. The standpipes are 1". I believe that the original Durso design used 1 1/4" pipes reduced to 1" and so I'm reducing my two 1" drains to 3/4". Keep in mind this isn't a reef system and I'm not targeting a very high turnover rate through the sump; 300-400gph would be fine.

Now my noise problem is not with the overflows at all. They are actually pretty darn quiet. The major source of noise seems to be in the drain lines between the tank and the sump. I have short sections (about 8") of vinyl tubing connecting each drain bulkhead to a horizontal section of 1" PVC which in turn connects to the sump (see attachment). I think the noise is mainly from the PVC pipe.

I wonder if an alternate design could cut down on the noise. First, do you suppose using all vinyl tubing from the bulkheads to the filter would be quieter? Or, do you think that Loc-Line tubing would be a better choice?

I've thought, too, that I might just wrap some insulating foam around the PVC pipe.

I have some space constraints to work around - the drains are only about 8 inches apart and there are only about 10 inches between the top of the filter and the bottom of the tank. That horizontal run of pipe is about 20 inches.

I'd love to hear what you all think. Thanks.

Welcome to RF! :)

As for the noise, if you think it is coming from the drain lines themselves and the plumbing/hoses are all new, then chances are they just need time to slime up some. How long has everything been setup for?:)

Welcome to RF! :)
How long has everything been setup for?:)

Thanks! And it's all brand new. I fired it up the first time to check for leaks and was pretty astounded at how loud it was. I've got it shut down now as I haven't had time to fix the leaks :) Have you found that the tubing/pipes quiet down after being in use for a while?

Yes they will Quiet down a bit. I used a wrap to insulate the sound on mine like the kind you find in a plumbing section. It helped alot in noise but watch the temp of the tank. Insulating does raise the tank temp a bit.

Do you get sort of a flushing noise in the pipes just before the sump/filter?

Don

I don't think I'm hearing any kind of flushing noise. It is pretty steady and I don't see any kind of surge or change in water level in the sump or overflow box.

Do you see anything fundamentally wrong with my approach to this?

I don't think I'm hearing any kind of flushing noise. It is pretty steady and I don't see any kind of surge or change in water level in the sump or overflow box.

Do you see anything fundamentally wrong with my approach to this?

I wouldnt say "wrong". I had that sort of thing on mine and ended up running two drops to the sump. Otherwise it was very loud but I could'nt tell you why.

Don

OK. I can try that: rather than joining the two drains run them separately to the sump. Any other collective wisdom on sump/drain best practices?

Well, not sure if this pertains to your problem, but I had gurgling and belching sounds in my sump coming from the drain and I put a "T" on the bottom of it where the water exits the pipe from into the sump and it got rid of that problem:)

Well, not sure if this pertains to your problem, but I had gurgling and belching sounds in my sump coming from the drain and I put a "T" on the bottom of it where the water exits the pipe from into the sump and it got rid of that problem:)

Do you mean like this?:

Never tried it like that, but here's how I had mine. The good thing about it is you don't have to glue that Tee on incase you want to try it different ways. Just push it on as it will hold:)

You could also replace the tee for a ball valve, that way you can adjust the flow trhogh your sump. It would also back up the water level in your overflow and possible quiet it down there.
Matt

Back