Tang harassing new addition

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dragoneggs

My 4" Chevron Tang is harassing a much smaller Copperband Butterfly that I introduced today. I also added a Mandarin Goby and a small yellow Watchman Goby but the Tang is paying no attention to them. Basically he is forcing th CB to stay in an upper corner. If the CB ventures down on to reef he gets chased back. Am I going to have to remove the Tang for awhile? It's only been a few hours. Will the Tang settle down?:evil:

Turn out the lights. That will calm them down for now. For tomorrow try moving around a few rocks in your tank. I think that you'll be alright after a few days.

Mike

Mark, I have no idea what to suggest here, but I moved your thread over to Lee's forum to get you the best possible feedback. Good luck!! :)

The Butterfly picks at the rocks looking for pods and small critters to eat, the Tang thinks it is eating its algae. Try keeping Nori in your tank for a couple of days, the extra food should make him fat and lazy and not so interested in the new guy. The butterfly should also eat frozen Mysis shrimp, maybe feeding this a couple of times a day will also let the Tang know it, the Butterfly is not after its algae. They are also simalar body styles and a pecking order will have to be established. Keep an eye on the Butterfly and make sure it eats well and it injuries heal. If it is not eating or getting the crap beat out of it you can make a partion out of the white light grate to seperate them until the Butterfly heals or gets bigger. Some time the grate idea helps introduce the new guys with out the stress of being constantly chase from one fishes hiding spot to the next. Also as previously suggested to introduce the new fish well after lights out and everyone has found thier bed for the night. When the lights come on in the morning the new guy is not noticed as much. Good luck.

You need a big CB 6 inch plus.

A chevron is very dominate,i thought you may have been in HK I had a 6incher that was eating pe mysis very well.sorry should have pmed you.

The tang should mellow out but the CB will be stressed. watch scales for a lift and closely scan the eyes and tail for cloudyness or white spots which could be lymphosis(sp).

Yep doing the mysis and nori already. Hoping when the lights come on today things will be more peaceful. I have been thinking about how to segregate as Vinny suggested but my aquascaping doesn't lend itself to that unless I get very creative in cutting up some grate material. But if today isn't better it's another trip to HD.

If the Butterfly is still able to out run the Tang and is still eating eventually the Tang will get it. I would give it a week, dont worry so much it is the natural picking order being established and the Tang was there first, So it is HIS territory and everyone must know it... If the Tang has plenty to eat it is more chasing and stress on the new commer and not so much injury..Watch for white spots or fin damage. Once the stress is over the fish should recover quickly if it is eating and staying healthy. Most of the stress is for us the Tank owner. Relax a little and watch the fish most is just posturing.

How large is this tank?
You could always add another large fish to distract the tang.
Removing the tang also may be an option. If you have a quarantine you can remove the large tang and give the CBB a chance to get established.

Tank is 63in long by 30in wide by 24in deep (Elos 160xl). Yes I was considering adding another large fish or two at some point when the right fish makes it impossible to resist! Maybe I need to move up the timetable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lots and lots of live rock, zoos, ricordias and LPS, frogspawn, goniopora and a little bit of SPS. Not a heavy bioload. Fish are CBB, Chevron Tang, three gobies, vermiculated leopard wrasse, pistol shrimp pair, and cleaner shrimp, snails and hermits.

Also have sump/refugium but regrettably no quarantine.

Usually when adding fish it is best to add similar type fish at the same time if possible. This reduces the over all stress and lets everyone find a new home at the same time. There is no "owner ship" of territory established to fight over. The problem is usually all the fish you want are never, available or to be found at the same time, maybe a conspiracy? If you want more fish I would suggest some smaller additions. They are faster, they can hide in smaller places, they usually eat better, adapt faster, the larger fish does not see them as a immediate threat. More to chase is definitely more tiring on the bigger fish. Do You have a big enough tank to support the addition add to the bio load? Remember all fish grow and get bigger, some a lot faster than others, enjoy responsibly :)

Last edited:
When I introduced my CBB in my tank he was chased around for about a week. He would zip out of the way and go hunt the tang down that chased him and "spear" him with his beak, then would go about his business.

It was more interesting to watch as he always got the last "punch" in letting the other fish in the tank he wasn't going to take their bullying. From the day I left for cruise everything was fine unless the CBB would enter my purple tangs cave, then it would be a couple laps around the tank for the both of them. If they met in open water they were fine, the CBB just had to stay out of the cave. No one in the tank is allowed in that cave.

Just give them some time.

P.S. The sump also works for a "time out" area for tangs.

When I introduced my CBB in my tank he was chased around for about a week. He would zip out of the way and go hunt the tang down that chased him and "spear" him with his beak, then would go about his business.

It was more interesting to watch as he always got the last "punch" in letting the other fish in the tank he wasn't going to take their bullying. From the day I left for cruise everything was fine unless the CBB would enter my purple tangs cave, then it would be a couple laps around the tank for the both of them. If they met in open water they were fine, the CBB just had to stay out of the cave. No one in the tank is allowed in that cave.

Just give them some time.

P.S. The sump also works for a "time out" area for tangs.

Thanks Blue... I want to share your optimism. I will try to be patient. Don't know if I can catch the Tang but if this keeps up I will try and send him to the sump. He won't like it there it isn't pretty. The poor CB is not leaving the upper back corner at all now.

I had the same issue when I introduced my CBB. My purple tang was all over the CBB, and stayed in one corner of the tank. However, the CBB was smart and could hide underneather one of my RBTA and the PT would not bother it. It took about 2 wks before the CBB was accepted. Now the CBB swims all over the tank and is in the middle of the feeding.

Mark, I do agree your tang prolly needs to be caught to minimize the stress and give the CBB a chance to survive.

Good luck.

Okay sitting here watching football and the fishtank all day and there is a bit of good news... the Tang seems to be backing off a bit and letting the CBB to leave his corner to visit the nearby rocks near his local but only the top half the of the tank. The other good news is that the CBB is poking his nose in the rocks and watching and picking probably copapods! He hasn't taken any mysis yet but did pick at some at the LFS. So... I am feeling a little better. Maybe well enough to leave them alone and go out for pizza! :)

Here is a pic of the new addition that hopefully starts on the aiptasia soon. Not a ton of it in the tank but I am hoping to control them naturally.

Back