Tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There's actually a chance they won't. If both are relatively the same size, they will co-habitate just fine. Regal tangs actually do fine together given there's enough space and/or the proper addition techniques are used.

The issue with the tank size is not that they may or may not fight but rather that their health will be severely put at risk. Both will begin to reach a size unsuitable for a 55 gal in less than 6 months. The fish will begin stunting which will increase stress, cause skelatal deformations, MHLLE and greatly reduce longevity of an otherwise long lived fish. FWIW, the fish do not actually stop growing, their growth rate just slows to such a rate it becomes almost unnoticable. The damage is still very real.

Cheers
Steve

So steve let me ask you something. I have a blue tang that is close to 5". If i were to buy another BT close to the same size and add him to the tank would they kill each other? Or would they get along?

I've always been told that the outcome would be death of one if not both.

50/50 really. If you where to do this while they where still small there's no question it could be done. Once they age some it's a different story. Being they are the same size (?), the possibility they may get along is just as good as not. Keep in ind though this being in relation to two new additions and no incumbant.

The problem you may have is the one currently in residence (what I would call the "incumbant"), will already have established a territory. Having occupied the tank for some time (?) any tang "look alike" will be a problem. The one thing to remember about regals is they're cowards. If the challenger/newcomer stands it's ground the incumbant will back off, cower or at the very least posture alot. If the newcomer flees, the incumbant will most likely hound it until it's dead. Size also comes into play if they are not the same.

Cheers
Steve

Back