Tank move

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loohunter

Fish lover
Hello to all, it's been a long time since i've been on. I'm moving at the begining of June and will be purchasing a new tank. I'm going to go fish only with this one. The tank is going to be 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. needless to say I will be needing some help with moving this beast. I'am thinking of trying to host a tank moving party of sorts. I can pay in pizza and beer/soda. just trying to gauge interest. we are moving to Lake stevens. I also need to come up with a more cost effective way to come up with 1000 gallons of saltwater, give or take a couple hundred gallons. If anyone has any interest or suggestions please let me know.

Any estamate on the weight?

I'm thinking, from current resting place, to moble dolly that is at approx. truck bed height to the truck ( flatbed?), then to moble dolly to final resting place?

Furniture dollys may be the best bet. Lift the tank from the truck onto the dollys, roll it inside, then lift from the dollys onto the stand.

As for water, there is a guy up in North Bend that sells 55gal blue rain barrels, I paid $15 for mine, but you can't open the top.

not sure on the dry weight. i'll have to look into that a bit more. furniture dolly's is a great idea. I'm thinkinking about a u haul since I'll be moving around the same time frame as well. the biggest challenge is the tank is going in my basement/future man cave. so that entails moving the tank down a small dirt hill around the house and into the basement door. possibly removing the basement door (that being the least of the challenges)

Quick guesses with a calculator I found, 48x120x48, with 0.5 inch acrylic would be just shy of 500 lbs

I move a lot of furniture, equipment and even 700 lb hospital beds around the college. Even with all the furniture dollys, straps and rental equipment from Aurora Rents handy to our crew we still occasionally bring in the pro's. With a tank like this I would not even consider fellow reefers for the job and would hire a piano mover company. This is coming from the guy who moved his glass 150 into place by itself. Some things are just too heavy for your average crew of guys

I move a lot of furniture, equipment and even 700 lb hospital beds around the college. Even with all the furniture dollys, straps and rental equipment from Aurora Rents handy to our crew we still occasionally bring in the pro's. With a tank like this I would not even consider fellow reefers for the job and would hire a piano mover company. This is coming from the guy who moved his glass 150 into place by itself. Some things are just too heavy for your average crew of guys

I used to be a mover in my younger days, you shouldn't even consider anyone but a professional mover and then you will need to check a find someone willing to do it. This is a bad time because it is the moving companies busy time. It may be tough finding some one to do this. You tweak this thing at all an you could get cracks as well as seam separations.

How about salt? Do I buy Like 5 or 6 buckets of IO or do I try and get someone to pump 1000 gallons of the puget sound into it. what do you guys think is more cost effective?

What I would do is wait until it is set up, then just set the out flow hose of your RODI into the tank and let it go for a couple weeks...could be a pricy water bill lol

I'd buy IO and a bunch of DI resin for my RO unit. Then I would bypass the RO and run only the prefilters and the DI chamber to fill the tank having zero waste water for my fill up. You will probably deplete the DI resin after a few hundred gallons and have to refill it but it will be much quicker for the initial fill and you wont be putting 3000 gallons of water down the drain.

I did this the last time I set up my 210 and made 350 gallons of 0 TDS water in less than 24 hours.

bypassing the RO membrane is a great idea, that never even crossed my mind. I have a ton of DI resin so not a prob. Now I just have to find a decent deal on a truck load of IO LOL

There used to be a guy on here that would fill tanks. I think he got the water from the seattle aquarium and trucked it to you and pumped it in.

There used to be a guy on here that would fill tanks. I think he got the water from the seattle aquarium and trucked it to you and pumped it in.

I would totally do that. I think that would be the best way to help eliminate some of that new tank syndrome. Any idea who that person was?

There was a guy who lived down here in Olympia, (fishoutofwater, I think) that had a truck with a large water tank on it to service salt tanks.
Haven't seen him post in a while.

Back