Tank move

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ok I have a tech question. I'm starting the stand build and I was thinking it would be a good idea to put some styro foam on top of the stand to help absorb any imperfections, so the question is how thick do you think the styro should be to help absorb 9000 pounds and also how much do you suppose it will compress?

ok I have a tech question. I'm starting the stand build and I was thinking it would be a good idea to put some styro foam on top of the stand to help absorb any imperfections, so the question is how thick do you think the styro should be to help absorb 9000 pounds and also how much do you suppose it will compress?

9000 lbs. I think would crush most styrofoam. My question to you is...How on earth did you ever talk you wife into letting you get a tank that big?

Yeah the foam would probably be pancaked by the weight. Is your stairs and doorway wide enough to get this monster tank in?

haha my wife is a fish geek as well, and as long as she can have her Blueface angel it's ok. Oh also I bought her a new house. As far as the doorway goes, the basement door is 36" the tank is 36". the doorway is about an inch wider so if I have to I can remove the door frame and gain a couple more inches. It will be tight though

That tight of a fit...You'll want to find a way to protect the front of the tank so you don't scratch it.

I would think to get a foam strong and dense enough it would almost be the consistency of plywood, then what's the point? Maybe a think, dense rubber mat might work better.

Last edited:
If all that weight were to be pushing down in a smaller area, then it would smash it flat, but since it will be spread out over 40 square feet, then it's not as
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, crushing.
There are denser types of strofoam board.

You can buy pretty dense blue styrofoam at lowes in big sheets. I used it under my 240 gallon reef in college and it did not compress it at all. it is like... 2 inches thick?

You can buy pretty dense blue styrofoam at lowes in big sheets. I used it under my 240 gallon reef in college and it did not compress it at all. it is like... 2 inches thick?

thats kinda what I was thinking. I wonder if I would want to go 2" or maybe something a little thinner. If I use foam I think I would be able to get away with like an osb plywood. If I dont use foam I think I would want like a finish grade plywood, and maybe fill and sand the joints and screw holes.

I'm going to have a shallow sand bed. I like the look of sand and I want the ability to have a ray or flounder of some sort in the future. it will be just enough to cover the bottom and for a fish to cover itself

You should get in touch with Jason at CFI to find out what would work and what won't work under your tank.

loohnter, OMG 10' long??? Sweet!
If the date works out I would be glad to give a hand.
Looks like you have a plan A, B, and C in place for the move. It is a good idea to have another plan ready to go if A or B are not working.
IMO a sheet of 3/4'' rigid ins. from the big box store would be best. As Marty stated the broad span of the weight wont compress the foam much.
IMO 6 men with straps and cups could move the tank with out major problems
Be sure to have your camera on hand. LOL

Pin down the date and let us all know.

so the official move date is the 8th. I have a couple guys from work locked in for sure. I also have a flatbed trailer and a truck. let me know for sure if you are interested in helping. I will lock in a time in a bit. the earlier the better. burgers ribs or pizza with a few beers to follow. let me know if you're interested and the food of choice. most popular vote wins.

I hope the move goes well for you. I have the Harvey cup Lacrosse tourney to attend with my son on the eight and cant make it.

Back