Tank turned 41 years old

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was looking at the tank today (with the top opened) and I saw a spark, then another one, then another, then the LED strip over my algae trough sputtered and started to melt and smoke. The thing melted through the acrylic tube I had it attached to.
Cheap LED strip from China.
Luckily it was 6" from the end and I was able to cut off the melted part, the rest of the strip works fine but for how long?
If I get time I will just make a LED strip for the algae trough myself.
I really hate buying ready made stuff and like to build everything myself, that way I know what I have and it will last forever.

IMG_1094.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Paul
It's almost unbelievable that a tank can run for such a long time. I trully enjoyed reading trough your thread. I was wondering if you can give me some info on your algae trough. It looks like something i might be able to incorporate in my filtration. Thanks a lot

Kriv, you can see it here with the strip of LEDs over it. It is just a Home Depot PVC fence post that I sliced about two inches off to make a trough, or channel. It is positioned above the water and is about 3/4" higher on the intake side. It is important to have the lower end just touching the water to prevent splashing and there is a plastic window in the bottom that also extends a fraction of an inch into the tank to also prevent splashing. The high end is sealed so the water only runs to the lower end. I just have a piece of acrylic glued in there.
The water enters it from the outflow of my skimmer. I don't have a sump. Thats it. When to much algae grows on it I just roll up the screen and scrape it off in the sink.
IMG_1092.jpg

This is a view from the end that the skimmer water enters through that pipe. There is also screen around the pipe to prevent splashing.

Gobieggs017.jpg

The thing keeps evolving by collapsing and being re built. I am sure all tanks go through this
IMG_1947.jpg

This is a fairly new gobi, I don't know what type it is and I am to lazy to look it up.
You can also see a red scooter bleeny above his tail.
I love this stuff

IMG_1952.jpg

Today I went down to my marina because they just put my boat in the water and I needed to get there to clean it, start it and charge the batteries. The water is full of grass shrimp and amphipods so I netted a bucketfull and when I got hime, I threw them in my tank. I don't do this in the winter but the shrimp and pods are there, I just don't like freezing while I am collecting. This stuff renews the tank like it always does.

I picked up some more SPS frags to replace some of the corals I lost when I went to Europe. Some of the "Dead" ones still have some growth on them and seem to be doing fine.
I really hate the look of frags and up until a few weeks ago I never had any. It is not the frags I dislike, it is that silly looking round plug they come on. I personally never use them, but I like to glue corals right to pieces of rock, then as they age and get largter I glue those rocks to larger rocks to make them completely natural looking.
Now there are maybe 10 frags in my tank on those round plugs and when I get time I would like to break them off and stick them on rocks. They really detract from a natural looking aquascape and my eye goes right to them.
I know stores have to sell them like that because it is easy and they fit in eggcrate, but it drives me crazy.
Most of my corals came on those plugs and I broke almost all of them off eventually or else I just epoxied rock to the plug so you don't see them.
Yes, little details make me crazy.
IMG_1940.jpg

I know this has been said many times but you have an amazing tank, and it has lasted for so long to me it means that you have amazing knowledge and patience for this. Thank you for sharing this tank with everyone.

Today I decided to clean the algae out of my algae trough. There was just too much algae and the water was having a hard tiime getting through. The thing has a plastic window screen in it that I normally just roll up, then brush off the algae in the sink and put it back in but this time it was just too much of a job. The screen was covered in those hard tube worms and bubble algae. There was also just too many amphipods in it to save. I swirled the screen in some salt water and collected as many amphipods as I could and threw them back in the tank. Then I threw out the screen and installed a new one. I don't like to do that because I like a coating of algae on it and algae takes a long time to grow on a new screen.
I also like to smear a coating of cement on the screen because algae grows very fast on cement but I didn't have time to prepare a screen so I just put in a new one. Now it will take a good 3 weeks before algae grows significantly on it.
I may make a cement covered screen in the meantime for next time.
Today I will go to my marina to "play" with my boat and I will collect a bunch of amphipods to replace the ones I lost.
Have a great day

Todays catch of amphipods. There were many more but my wife accidently kicked over the bucket on the boat and I had to chase them down on the carpet. For every one you see there are fifty babies you can't see. I collect every few days in the summer.

Tank6612007.jpg

Fresh pods - nice!! Paul - it is so obvious to see the love you have for this hobby and it is easy to see that you devote a massive amount of time, care and dedication to your livestock. My hat is off to you ~

Jozee, thank you. I don't know about a massive amount of time. Only about 55 years or so. :biggrin1:

hey man im gob smacked,
You don't have to be gob smacked. That glass is only 36 years old. After 5 years I moved and transfered everything into a larger tank in the new house.

This week I am going to Montauk which is the most eastern part of NY and it sticks out in the Atlantic. There is nothing near there and no industry for many miles so the water is very clean. I am not going there for water especially but I will collect 15 gallons while I am there. I am going there to go crabbing and claming. Blue claw crabs make a great linguini sauce and my wife loves to suck every bit of meat from the tiny legs and claws. to much trouble for me. But the clams are my favorite food, I can eat them from the sea like M&Ms.
Besides water, clams and crabs there is codium seaweed all over the place there and I will most likely pick up some of that. It looks nice in a tank and lives a few months.
Hopefully I will be able to collect some amphipods and maybe even some interesting fish and crabs. Almost whatever I find that is small enough I put in my tank unless it is a baby of something that will get 9' long.
I was always under the impression that these infusions from the sea greatly benefit a captive reef. Even if I didn't have a tank I would go just for the scenery and crabs.
My tank is doing very well and I am now again able to get blackworms. My newest longnose hawkfish didn't jump out yet but he probably will, they always do. I almost added a purple firefish today but they jump even faster than hawkfish. I never lost any of them any other way. I never lose any fish unless they jump out.
You can tell healthy fish easily just by looking at them and the fish that jump out may even be among the healthiest fish. Jumping doesn't mean they are sick or there is anything wrong with your water, it just means, they got scared or figured out that they are held prisoner. I would jump also.
Healthy fish also don't have any scales out of place, have clear eyes and are interested in their surroundings and not just to try to escape. They actively hunt and many fish, especially damsels or bottom dwelling fish are always looking for love. It is what fish do.
I am also totally amazed at the amount of brittle stars in this tank. I don't remember putting birth hormones in the tank but these things are in every cranny. There is one like every inch or more. I also don't know what they are eating as they are particle eaters and I don't think they get any nutrition from the water itself, they may be sending out for pizza because I don't overfeed that much and what they do get fed is live worms, mysis and clam. No little particles like you would get from flakes or pellets.
I think I am going to try to build a brittle star trap just to see if I can. I don't want to remove them, I kind of like them.

great job paul! Is the water temp there in ny warmer than here in wa? Im asking because i live on the water and see pods all over all the time, but never ctch them because our water tem around here is around 53-56 degrees. do you just dump them in or do you do temperture acclimation? I am very interested in this. Live pods are getting a bit expinsive. Id rather buy a fish that eats them if i can catch them than to buy a fish nd then have to buy him livefood as well. I also like to watch them swim around.:becky:

The water temp here now is about 68 or so but in the winter I still collect pods and the temp goes down to about 40. I even collect them under the ice. By the time I get them home the water is about the same as my tank and I dump them in. They don't seem to mind

Back