The Beginning: Jeff's 60 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

flugelnuss

Clownfish
After many months of gathering all the equipment, a failed first attempt at plumbing, a 6 night vacation inside Hurricane Wilma, parting out my first aquarium and many soft corals, new carpet installation, and countless hours of the wife nagging... I have finally taken the next step of plumbing of my tank. :p

As I type, while taking a break from 5 hours of plumbing and numerous trips to Home Depot, I have completed fitting all the pvc and fittings together. This process was actually very scary to me, as I am not much of a DIY'er. I purchased this tank used. Its specs are: IAP 60 gallon - 37w x 17d x 22h quarter rounded 3/8" acrylic. The tank came pre-drilled with flex PVC - minus all loc-line and a canopy that had no top.

I proceeded to rip out all the flex PVC, as I really don't like that look. I tried to be cheap about it and save all the ball valves and bulkheads, but after a failed first attempt of plumbing with my buddy Todd, I decided to scrap that idea and go with all new fittings. I also added a top to the canopy and opened up the front panel using piano hinges.

My closed loop will be utilizing a Sequence Reeflo Dart and my return will be drawing from a Mag 9.5 into a 3/4" Sea Swirl. I built a Durso Standpipe that will drain into a sock inside 29g AGA with 4 added baffles and filtration will be provided using a Euro Reef 6-2+. Lighting will be 2 x 250 watt Phoenix 14k DE (thanks Chuck!) and VHO for added actinics run by an Icecap 660. The ballast is a Sunlight Supply Blue Wave VII HQI and the pendants are also SLS ReefOptix III.

I haven’t glued any of the plumbing yet, so I am about to start on that. Till then, here are some pics to help document this project.

Thanks!

Jeff

Great start Jeff! It looks like to me you are a DIY'er! I think it will be a nice setup. Best of luck on your project! I will be tagging along for sure...

Thanks Krish. Here are a few more photos while I'm in the middle of my PVC glue high. These face masks don't do that much and having to keep the door open in low 30 degree weather isnt any fun. :(

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
Looks like you are off to a great start. Water testing soon? Get a coupple pics from the tank front for us.:)
Good luck,Scott

Nice! Did you buy the 29 gal sump with the bafffles already in it or did you do it yourself? Also, how much gph will you get out of that dart?

Thanks Scott. I plan on taking it down to the garage today to water test. I was up till 1:30am last night priming, gluing, and putting teflon on everything. I'm pretty sore today too, believe it or not!

Here are some pics of the front. I was too tired to do anything more last night. Considering this is the first time that I have done any sort of plumbing, I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself for being able to put this all together and at that pace, I am amazed! It just shows that anyone can do something like this! It's not as hard as it looks! I just looked at a lot of pictures online and asked a lot of questions. I have to thank Todd and Ilham for all of their help in consulting with this project!

Jeff

The Dart is rated at a maximum 3600gph @ 0’ head. The input for the CL is @ 1.5" thru 2 strainers and the output is @ 1" thru 6 holes. I plan on splitting 4 of the 6 holes to create more of a random pattern of flow. Along with the Sea Swirl and ¾” loc-line, I’m thinking that I shouldn’t have any problems.

The sump is a plain old 29g AGA. I got it on sale at Blue Sierra, and got glass cut to size. They’re something like 11” x 9”, but don’t go out getting glass cut without measuring. I’m sure it’s a little bit off, but with the silicone, it fit right. Unfortunately, I got silicone everywhere, and it’s not the prettiest bell at the ball. I’m hoping to upgrade in the future with a more professional acrylic type sump. For the time being though, this will work.

Jeff

Just wondering, I was just told reducing the outlet from 1.5 to 1 would cut the flow by more than half. Have you checked into this?

Don

Jeff...You're setup looks really nice and clean. I'm ready to take mine down now and start over(LOL). Great job so far! Best of luck...

Lookin good Jeff.

I would look into what Don said.

How was the fishing trip yesterday?

- Ilham

Looks like this was the first major miscalculation of this project! Whoops! Oh well.... I read somewhere that the gph is reduced by 40%. There isn't a ton of flow coming out of the CL, but the flow from the Sea Swirl definitely compensates. Plenty of random swirling water patterns. I may need to close up a few inputs or go with a new pump. Any suggestions that I can look into? I don't really want to re-plumb! Either way, I think I'll have to see how things look with it filled with livestock.

I water tested tonight, and I found a total of 6 leaks. Most were very minor drips here and there. Nothing to be worried about. There is one however that needs to be addressed by the pump. I'll have to work on these some time later this week.

Jeff

Elmo18 said:
Lookin good Jeff.

I would look into what Don said.

How was the fishing trip yesterday?

- Ilham

Ilham - Fishing trip was cancelled due to snow dumping in the surrounding areas. As you can see, I filled up my time with something else. :rolleyes:

Jeff

flugelnuss said:
Ilham - Fishing trip was cancelled due to snow dumping in the surrounding areas. As you can see, I filled up my time with something else. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Darn that sucked. Oh but nice :) as it gave time for plumbing !

Best,
Ilham

Jeff,
You need to keep the CL plumbing 1 1/2" and then reduce at the bulkhead going into the tank. Not sure if you can go with 3/4" BH's since you stated you went to 1" earlier. I'm sure you will get it worked out.:)
Scott

Jeff, have you know of anyone using their sea-swirl like you are planning to? I love the idea...Should work great! Best of luck!

Back