The Skimming beast is dead....Long live beast ver 2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef said:
you have half of the old one already, lol

Mike

I mean your mag cleaner.

Ya, I have both pieces. Gees there no way its going to work on my tank unless I start taking steroids. I could tun it into a curved one if it would help out.

Don

LOL ahhh. I'm good Don. I might just go back to the wet neck, it did make life easier

Mike

Mojoreef i am going to change over a skimmer to air stones.Hear is a list of parts i am going to used 3 - 6 in long super fine air stones, SL -22 air pump with a air gage.Is there any more parts i will need to make it work?

mcbarker.gif

Ahh Magoo you’ve done it again ;)

Very nice job

Hiya Sharks!!!!!

Rgibson sorry I missed your post. I would highly suggest giving the tech department a call at aquatic eco systems. they will be able to match it up for ya perfectly. For more parts I would say you are ok, get valves for the output of the airpump and one for bleedng off if you need to. from thier I used mostly hard pvc for plumbing the air

Mike

Darn you MOJO!! My lil retro-fitted DIY bubble maker is pulling about 1.5cups a day but I have skimmer envy. lol Nah, although well riged my ugly Euroreef style just does not measure up for my tanks volume and fish-load..

I just placed my order for the acrylic and picked up a router today... I'll be taking the plunge soon ;) but not before I finish the L3 DE retro

The tenative plan is much like beast1 just a wee smaller.
Mixing chamber - 24TallX12WideX12Long ~15gallons
Riser - 24"to30" of 8" Tube
Neck - 12" of 6" Tube
Inlet will be directly from the overflow though I haven't decided on the entry-point yet..

Thanks for the inspiration, though I am sure I will be recalling the sentiment when I spend double the projected cost and 60hrs labor :)

I'm sure if I am successful I will post a thread..

So you know its not manitory to use tubing, making the skimmer square is just as good, just a little more glueing

Mike

I thought about the square approach but after pricing things out there wasn't much of a cost difference. The biggest challenge for me between square and round is making the flanges..

This skimmer will cost me between 350 and 425.00 to make all things included..

Mojoreef have you seen the skimmer that dgasmd had built by GEO, at the geo club page 8 at reef central general interest forums lighting filtration,other equipment.? That is one big air skimmer.

Mike,

Here is my pictures. My skimmer with air stones that Les built has a chamber 22"L x 9"W x 20"T and 2 towers 19". The air pump is sweetwater linear piston (SL44) and 4 air stones 3" diffuser fine pore.

Zul

I thought about dual risers when I had my last air skimmer build, do you notice both chambers bubble raise to the same heigth or is one lower then the other? The riser closest to out flow?

Very nice.

zulreef ilike the two towers design.What size pump do you used on the skimmer?

Excellent Zul!! I like it. I also thought about 2 towers, a great way to lower the overall height!. For a feed pump for that puppy I would say about 300gph max

good job

MIke

Mike the two towers is a first new idea i have seen in so time and a very good one.

I like the design as well. Could that be adapted to an in sump application? A few more pics showing where it is in relation to your tank would be most appreciated, TIA!

Craig I actually did one for guy where we made the skimmer built in. We had drains going into the first chamber of the sump, made it a bit larger and then put the tube right on top of the chamber, that way the water coming right from the tank was being skimmed before moving through the rest of the sump.

Mike

Back