The Skimming beast is dead....Long live beast ver 2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RedEyeReef said:
I thought about dual risers when I had my last air skimmer build, do you notice both chambers bubble raise to the same heigth or is one lower then the other? The riser closest to out flow?

Very nice.

Hey,

No, both are the same height if I put my hand in the the water then one is higher than the other.

Zul

mojoreef said:
Excellent Zul!! I like it. I also thought about 2 towers, a great way to lower the overall height!. For a feed pump for that puppy I would say about 300gph max

good job

MIke

Mike,

It is a sweetwater SL44 piston pump with 2.75CPM.

Zul

Mike,
Don't you mean 3000GPH? That this is running about 1600 GPH and foaming like a machine. Of course time will tell on the overall design of it but this is the second I've built for people here in the club and they are working awsome. If you remember Mike I talked with you about building a 4 tower design for my tank last summmer. I was so inspired by our conversation that I conned someone into funding the beta test unit. This is the second beta test unit and the third is nearing completion. Its a dual tower setup mounted on the sump, it will also be gravity fed.

mojoreef said:
Excellent Zul!! I like it. I also thought about 2 towers, a great way to lower the overall height!. For a feed pump for that puppy I would say about 300gph max

good job

MIke

Les,
I shouldnt answer for Mike, but I'd bet money he meant three hundred gph.
Slower flow means more contact time, means the skimmer is more efficient and will need fewer passes through in order to get more crap from the water.

Nick

Contact time and dwell time for water Les. You looking for maximum contact time. Remember most protiens will NOT attach to a clean air bubble, they first need surficants to attach and then they attach to it. With a speed of 3000 gph running through the unit you are putting it to fast through their and not allowing it that operation.
The concept, design and everything looking awesome just need to bypass some of that water. I have to go out tonite but I will through you the math you are looking for.

Mike

Yes Mike, I know, oh boy do I know!!! Contact time--- sheesh!!
I tried the math that someone posted here awhile ago and the size I came up with wouldn't fit through my door. :lol: So this is what I went with.
Yes, there are baffles installed in the skimmer. There is also a built in bubble trap that seems to work well.
The next skimmer I will build will be 72" tall 6" dual tube on a 24" tall base. (for my tank) If you want to do the math Mike then tell me what size will I need for 2000 GPH through the skimmer? Or if that fails then what flow rate can I achieve with those dimensions?

Les You would need a massive skimmer to have a good dwell time putting 2000 gph through it. Its so much easier to just turn that puppy down.
Ok so let say a 24 high by 12 by 12 with a 6 foot tube of 6 inch. That would work out to about 25 gallons?? So 25 gallons divided by 2000gph = .0125 gph X 60 X60 =45 seconds of mixing? Some protiens need up to 3 minutes to attach, Sooo your going to miss taking out a large percentage of the protiens you want to.
If you cut that puppy down to 500gph you would be getting a dwell time somewhere in the range of 3 Mins!!! Prime time. So in your case Les where you would have about 350 gallons of total water?? (rocks, sand and so on out) all the water in your system would be treated by the skimmer every 6 hours...pretty darn good thier to.

MIke

Also has anyone ever considered using a 5 gal water jug for the base of a Unit? They have very thick plastic and with proper uniseals would be breeze to make I think. Utilize a 6 inch PVC pipe and 6 inch uniseal for the neck. That way you have access to the airstones anytime by pulling off the neck , Not to metion cleaning.

>2 cfm is not alot of air but then it would depend on the size of the skimmer.

On the pail sure you could as long as you could figure out how to collect the skimate.

Mike

Mike,
I'm sure you have answered this before but here it is again. What does the formula represent? How do you come about the X60X60 portion? And what is the hard and fast rule of air flow? Is there a set amount of air for a given water flow or is it based on total height? (of skimmer or water colum)

mojoreef said:
Les You would need a massive skimmer to have a good dwell time putting 2000 gph through it. Its so much easier to just turn that puppy down.
Ok so let say a 24 high by 12 by 12 with a 6 foot tube of 6 inch. That would work out to about 25 gallons?? So 25 gallons divided by 2000gph = .0125 gph X 60 X60 =45 seconds of mixing? Some protiens need up to 3 minutes to attach, Sooo your going to miss taking out a large percentage of the protiens you want to.
If you cut that puppy down to 500gph you would be getting a dwell time somewhere in the range of 3 Mins!!! Prime time. So in your case Les where you would have about 350 gallons of total water?? (rocks, sand and so on out) all the water in your system would be treated by the skimmer every 6 hours...pretty darn good thier to.

MIke

Les is just 25 gallon skimmer compacity divided by 2000 gallons an hour = .0125 gph to fill the skimmer then I just divided by minutes and then seconds to get how many second it would take to fill the skimmer, in your case it was 45.
You want to have between 15 and 20 percent of the total water volume as air, so you turn off the air input do a measure and then crank the air back on it should only raise the water level between 15 and 20 percent.
Also on figuring out you calculations I based it on having the whole 6 inch tube as part of the mixing chamber.

Remember the mixing chamber is where all the reactions happen and is far more important then the chamber that only the foam travels in.

Mike

would recirculation pump assist in that saturation time In such a config? I was thinking of one these:

3924diy-skimmer1.jpg

Then cutting the top Off around 7 inches so a Uniseal 6" can fit in:

3924diy-skimmer2.jpg

5 gallon water jug with a 6 inch tube running up. This for a dual tanks system. I have a community Fuge and sump on a 180 and 160. Fuge is 110.

Could this work? Or would 6 inch riser be to small.?

Back