The Skimming beast is dead....Long live beast ver 2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok update, the skimmer slowed down alot on saturday, still producing foam but alot less. I took the airpump apart and looked at the diaphram, well it was sushi, i mean it was amasing that it was still pushing enough air to make foam, it had four holes in it and was ripped it 2 places. I am imagining that was from having it turned down so much and sinking it once, lol. So that was a 6 month period for replacement, replacement cost 9 bucks

Mike

Wow, I missed this thread when it started......Mike I think I took the stolen report on that 12" tube ....I'll have to come by and see that bad boy...of course I'll probably see it when we stop by with the SWAT team to serve the warrant :lol:

I saw the skimmer with the broken pump and it still is crazy. I had a video but it is too much of a pain to figure out how to get it here so I gave up today.

John even with the broken diaphram it still pumps foam

Stan Better bring the police boat cuz I will run with it, lol

Mike

mile how did the air work to the cleaner? I wanted to work on the sump this weekend, unfortuantly my wife is having me work on the deck design, drawning the plans, making the model, just snift 13 tubes of crazy glue, my nose feels like its coated with glue, funny I dont get that way gluing frags.... well the deck has to be done, at savings of 100k, so it takes priority, ohh well its life...

Going to try it this weekend, I will let you know. Good luck on the deck, lol

Mike

how much flow can /did you ever put through your wet neck? could you have a flow of 2-3k gal per hour, Ie... the line in would be a wet neck, it might clean itself with this much flow.... if the current keped the air from rising, all it would need is to increase the air presure. what do you think, it might be cheaper and easier than spray wands and heavy duty pumps.

On the wetneck you are limited on the amount of water you put down it. To much will hurt foam production (knocks it down) I feed mine with very little water, no sure exactly how much but it was feed by a sprinkler drip line (four of them) maybe a couple galllons an hour??
The wet neck would extend cleaning of the neck from once a week to once a month or so, it also wets up the skimmate a bit but you can compensate by drying up the foam itself.

Mike

I realize it would disapate some of the foam, but at a certain point it would level off and it would be a matter of foam production (increased air) vs cleaning. I run one system with a pig, but its complicated and expencive for mass marketing. the other is a spray bar that rises, again expencive and complicated.... looking for simple and cheap...

It is effective at prolonging the intervals for cleaning, but it wont clean a dirty neck, trust me I have tried, lol I had it cranked pretty good once to try and it get the thickness off but not completely.

Mike

Mike try using a 3/8 in silcone tubing around the top the top of the neck .the water comes in at the top of the tubing.On the inside of the neck put 1/6 plastic pens to make a place for the water to come out all around the inside of the neck . The pump to used for this a mini-jet mn 404. run the pump 24-7. The tubing is cut to fit over the neck,silcone makes a good fit on the out side of the neck to keep the water from coming out.

Mike on a square tube skimmer couldnt you use a magnet cleaner? and on the same note if the skimmer was made in glass, wouldnt it stay cleaner longer?

RGibson you lost me are you talking about a wet net feature or wash down. Either way through me a little more detail will you?? thanks

Crazzyreefer, for sure if it was square a magnet cleaner would work no problem.

Mike

mike have you heard of anyone using glass to make the skimmer, I know my plexi tanks are worthless when it comes to cleaning.

hmmm I use a magnet cleaner on my acrylic tank??? you could do it out of glass but its going to be so hard to manipulate it (drill holes, attach stuff)

Mike

Back