The truth about small sharks in reef aquariums.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Hey everyone. Recently I have been contacted by several members with questions regarding keeping sharks.

The truth is a 180, 210, or even 240 are not acceptable sized tanks for housing these sharks.

Usually the situation involves someone with prior reef experience who thinks because they are going from a 50g to a 180g tank, that its "huge" and a perfect home for a small shark. I felt this way when I went from a 20L to a 120g.

Lets be honest......

A banded catshark can reach sexual maturity in 18 months!

People try to slow the growth of these sharks by feeding less. (this is something that USUALLY does not happen)

Everytime you have a vistor, you'll wanna show off the shark and feed him right? I've been there. Its not exciting to feed these sharks only once to twice a week. They tend to be very inactive so keepers are always trying to temp the shark with ANOTHER meal. Get him off the sand bed and moving, ya know? (don't forget that if you reduce the frequency of feedings, you have to add vitamins to the food!)

Next! People often say "well I'll put the shark in my small tank I have now, but will upgrade to a larger system when he gets bigger"

A four foot adult banded catshark needs at LEAST a four foot wide tank to turn around. Honestly it needs 5 feet!

With that being said, my shark tank complete system which I had custom built and designed for sharks was $18,000. The demensions were 11ft long and 5ft wide.

So, with that being said, if you want a banded catshark you should either wait until you have a sutable enviroment to house the shark, or have 10 to 20 thousand dollars set aside to house the shark as an adult. (in as little as 18 months)

So here it is! This video is of an ADULT banded catshark. THIS IS NOT A NURSE!

This is an 18 month old banded catshark in a 210g at a store close to my home. Minimal rock with a footprint of 6'x2'x30".

YOUTUBE LINK ---->YouTube - Banded catshark

Truely sad if you ask me.......

Last edited:
Mods, I'm not sure where this should be placed, but it should be a sticky!

Also, sorry for an misspelling.

Brett, keep this going? It'll give me a thread to link to, instead of directing people to you, every time a shark question comes up!! lol

I don't mind answering questions.:)

I think its important for people to see what a shark actually looks like in a "large tank" like a 210.

Often the shark is purchased before the appropriate sized aquarium, and this is the result.

Brett, since you are quite knowledgeable about sharks, and willing to answer questions...lol...

Maybe we need to get you to do a complete write up, in segments, in our Workshop forum...lol.

I absolutely agree that all too many people have absolutely NO idea what's needed, to keep any shark. Here we have the "Tang Police," on any forum, which is good....

Yet people will consider putting a shark in the same sized tank that is recommended for most Tangs.

Then we get people who have a large reef tank, who decide to change it over to a FO tank, with aggressive species. Next thing you know, they're adding a shark.

The fact is, most people do it backwards. They get a tank and decide to add a shark. Instead of planning for a shark, and then getting a dedicated tank to suite the shark's needs. As your 1000 gallon build taught me, it's even about more than just the size of the tank. Sharks need a specific type of flow. The tank needs to be built, with that specific flow in mind. There's just so much that needs to be taken into consideration, BEFORE even considering owning a shark. Too few of us hobbyists take those needs into consideration, or are even willing to learn what those needs are.

Sharks are their own "niche." Like other "niche" species, they can't be an "add on" to a tank. They must be the primary and the tank built to suite them, as you did. Take Jelly Fish, as an example. They need a very specific tank, with very specific requirements. If those requirements aren't met, the Jelly Fish will die.

Nice thread! I think we all could be a little more aware of even the more common fish, like you said returnofsid "tang police". I'd like to see more of this on other fish, tank size, flow, feeding requierments.

I like this I get tired of reading a black tip needs a min. tank size of 600 gallons and other sahrks need smaller tanks good to have some info from someone with hands on experiences. thanks for the info Great thread Brett. when I decide to jump back in the hobby I will definatly give you a ring as I want a shark but I will not have a tank I will have a cement lagon in stages in the basement of my house.

One question I do have is Lighting requierments will any light work or whats the best for health and coloration of the shark as regular 12 bulbs (household) I do not think will work well.

Back