time to think about critters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaronfeeney

Tank is running, adding some live rock soon as water clears up a bit. Now about corals and stuff. What should a 1st timer start out with? 50 gal , LR , power heads and skimmer. minimal lighting, as in 2 watts per gallon, 10k and actinic( I plan to add more lighting as budget allows) I definately want to go with a reef and not just a fowlr.

your type of lighting is going to limit your coral selection. when you said adding some lr do you mean you are adding more to what you have or just adding period? you are going to need to wait until your tank cycles before you put anything in it other than sand and lr. i always do my research before ive decided on the coral/fish i like. if you want to go the sps route you need pristine water conditions. anemone's need at least an eight month old tank with the parameters stable. this hobby gets quiet expensive if you do not do you research. do it right the first time so you dont have to spend money again to make it right. dont skimp on lighting,skimmer or return pump. and remember you get what you pay for!!! good luck with the tank

Thanks , This is the research phase for critters, I am putting in the first batch of LR next weekend, if all goes well, then the tank can cycle for a while, while I figure out what creatures to add first. I am thinking zoos, lps, shrimps and small crabs, and of course a couple small fish, eventually an anemone would be cool. As I learn more , I am sure my wish list will also evolve.

Once you get your live rock put in your tank, do some reading on "forcing" your tank to cycle.

You'll want a raw shrimp tail from the sea food section, toss it in the tank for a couple of days so you get a nice big ammonia spike. Remove the shrimp and let your cycle begin. Once everything reads 0's you are ready to add a couple of hermits, a shrimp, and a couple of snails. This should take approx 2 weeks or so.

How meny Lb's Of rock?

thats going to play a large roll on whats gonna happen in the next 15 days.

Id not add anything yet... I place all your rock in there, get all your timers working make. sure everything is good to go... then in a few days.. i would start your cycle...(only if your rock was outta the water for 4+ hours)

I wouldnt add anything alive until you are finished adding your rock...slow down my friend.. its just starting

I've got nothing but time here No hurry. picking up a bunch of LR this weekend, If it s not as much as I want, (we'll see when I stack it up), I'll add more next payday. But while I am waiting on LR and cycle I might as well get some opinions on beginner type life to plan on adding through the holiday season.

excellent... great idea...

As far as new tank life goes.. and little light... i would start with some zoo's and mushrooms

Back