To reef big? or not to reef big?? LOL

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dave,

Well then, send me a PM on your way to BRA I will give you my contact info, would be worth the trip for some great ideas..and I could always be "coaxed" in going to BRA. :) :)

Kirk

if nothing else, water really likes to find its own level, and I fitted the other sump for the same pipe that the other one has. I used slip fit bulkheads as that was what I had around.

One has had all the baffles removed and one is fitted with 5 of them for a skimmer/bubble trap (I put that one together, it was a leaky mess) there is also a bubble trap/ return box for filter bags that should fit in it made out of 1/2" plexi with a hinged access side.

As a disclaimer...while I bought this tank, I got it for what was in it, and only am flipping it to Dave to offset the cost of the livestock/corals I bought and for quite a bit less than I paid for everything.

besides, we need more people with big tanks north of Everett

Big systems are great. I love them! I wish I didn't have to let mines go. Taking a little breather for a minute but will have something small for my daughter ok ok for me too lol. I do plan on doing something the same size or bigger in the future sometime. Take your time and Plan your system out. A fish room is a must for large systems. I love having the guts in the garage. I didn't have to worry about spilled water. No smelly skimmers in the house either. More room to work in and expand the system if you want too. Monthly Cost of running a large system you can have a pretty sweet ride:lol::lol:. More money and becomes more of an investment rather than just a reef tank as you will have thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in LS and for some things when they fail you can't really say oh well I will have to wait until next month to replace it by then you could have lost thousands of dollars in LS waiting to replace something that cost a few hundred bucks. I know for my future build(s) I will have 2 of most things so that way I will always have a back up if anything fails or for maintenace swap out. Here is my system build thread if you want to check it out.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42958

definately no intentions to even get this wet anytime soon, well except once I get replumbed ill test it. it was origianally plumbed with a chiller I opted out of.
meanwhile I want to see different methods folks have done to plumb and configure things.
for one thing, the return for closed loops I want to look at options.
the tank has very low profile dual overflows that really barely take any space inside, but am considering converting to a coast to coast.
now Im interested in Plasma technology!!!!
Skimmer...I have time, was looking at the SWC primarily, but wanted to ask about Cone vs. standard???? huge benefit?
so far as I see in the Cones, SWC so far doesnt have a "middle range" for bio-load capacity.
I dont know yet the livestock, but want to be prepared for any load I may add.

Dave,

This has not been discussed but should be as it is important IMO.

Need to think about added an automatic standby generator for backup power to your budget..I have one and love it..

I treat large systems as an investment and to protect that investment is cruical, esp if you have a lot of money in fish and corals, why wouldn't you protect this?..IMO, the last thing you want is all your fish or corals to needlessly die because they were not protected...

Just something to consider, and yeah, welcome to the next level of reefkeeping. :) :)

noted, and yes I agree....Generators are reletively inexpensive ( non whole house power back ups) will certainly keep that on my radar

+1 on the generator Dave. I have one not fancy self automated type but one for not if but when the power goes out. I think it was mentioned already but just plumbing the two sumps together would work best. no offence if i plagerized (sp?) sombody there but i wanted to dual note that remark anyways

WOW moving a big Tank like that is quite a task......I went with Kevin and a few friends to move this thing, and it wont go out any conventional exit in house :O....we have to remove a window.

Now I adopted the errand, Kevin is stressed and wants to wash his hands of it, which led him to drop his price again Wooooo Hoooooo for me LOL

now I have to figure this out lol

I am in a position to purchase a nice system for a really great price.....
as a newbie, I dont know all the pro's n con's of these larger systems when speaking in terms of plumbing, closed loop vs. not, and larger Acrylic Tanks and being drilled on Bottm for closed loop.
I know Opinions Vary...but is there anything that really stands out to make note of?
is a bottom drilled tank a big red flag? I know closed loops are favored by some but not by others. same as Acrylic vs. Glass

what I am looking at is a 260G 84x24x30 with WELL built stand and canopy, 2 Reef flo darts and a coralife turbo-sea included
2 low profile overflows that plumb to a 2 sump system
the bottom has 2 drains, and 2 returns of closed loop to provide flow to bottom and rock, and 2 returns that enter at top that Y off to 2 loc lines.

System is without Skimmer and calc reactor (sold) and I am opting out from the LONG 3X MH T-5 , LED combo unit, for probably LED's

I wont mention price here, but a fool would pass on this deal, the pumps and sumps alone cost as much new, as I can acquire this system LOL

Any HUGE disadvantages to the above described system that would alter my opinion?

Couple of thoughts....
Bigger systems are more stable, but do cost more to maintain.
As you can see by the cost of the system you're looking to buy...the resale value of this is hobby significantly lower than buying new.

I've been in this hobby for quite awhile and have designed a few systems, and everyone if done, I've realized things on everyone of them could be improved upon.

A friend of mine here locally has a 1000 gallon system that currently costs him $600 month in electrical use, and we have some of the cheapest electricity in the US here in StL. He's revamping his system to reduce that.

I dont think LED's are quite at the point where you can adequately light a 30 inch deep aquarium and keep SPS and clams at the bottom yet. I do think that T-5's are there however.

For your system, I would strongly suggest you look at a T5 set up for your system. The electrical usage will be less than a comparable MH system. However, look into what its going to cost you to replace bulbs. You will be replacing more bulbs at one time than with MH's, however, the bulbs are less expensive and last longer.

Pumps....Reeflo pumps tend to be among the least costly pumps to run, however, if your system requires two pumps to run, find out what you'll need to run on just one pump. Then buy two of those, (one for instant back up).

My friend here hass just finished a new plumbing manifold to run his system off of one larger pump...skimmer, reactor(s), returns, etc...with that, he's been able to take a few smaller feed pumps off line, thereby reducing his electrical usage.

I would not make any plumbing beyond what you already have drilled, permanent...meaning, dont buy a new sump and drill holes in it. If you ever decide to upgrade or downgrade your plumbing for whatever reason, you're stuck with what you've drilled holes in. Instead go over the top for sump returns and intakes...this way, if you change pumps, all you need to do is re-do that part, not the entire system.

For plumbing, go at least 1/4 inch larger on ball valves & unions than the holes drilled into your tank. for example, if you have 1 inch holes, buy 1.25 inch ball valves and unions and reduce them down to 1 inch. The internals of the ball valves and unions is 1.4 inch smaller than their rated size this causes back pressure and will reduce flow through your plumbing. back pressure and reduced flow means increased pump electrical usage and less flow.

For flow inside the tank, I would strongly reccomend going with some sort of low wattage powerhead, (Tunze stream or MP40 etc) and have extra's on hand for replacement for cleaning and or any maintenance issues.

Think modularity and the ability to change things out as fast as possible as easy as possible. Murphy's Law of reefing...things will go wrong and will require your undivided attention when you can least afford the time or money.

Nick

Thanks, I do like any tips and hints people want to share. since Im not looking to get this wet right away....I plan to watch and research lighting LED vs, Plasma Arc, and since Im not in a hurry. maybe Ill be able to see the progression of that technology, and some good data to support those lighting options.

I will say I have seen the Pac sun LED's in action, and very impressed.

if I was to set this tank up today, I lack Lights, skimmer, contoller, and heaters to get started.
but Ill obtain these things along the way,as I research and decide what will suite our needs best.

I do read alot and research thoroughly when I am looking to make larger purchases. so Ill be well informed by the time, I buy lights and skimmer :)

One thing thats nice out here in the NW is that between mils summers, and not that cold winters heating and cooling are fairly easy for large tanks as it takes quite a bit to heat them up or have them cool off. I don't actually have heaters that are plugged in on my tank. The lights/pumps are more than enough to keep it warm. Usually don't need a chiller either unless you have MH. My tank never got over 84 and the most I do is open the hood a bit usually. Don't even turn the lights off other than at there usual times.

when you get to the point of cycling your system (I.E. have rock and water in it) Lighting it alot more than effeciancy and how well it works, different kinds make a tank look much different. I have set ups for MH and T-5, wouldn't be to big a deal to toss them in the truck to try different ones on for size so to speak, If my parts would ever show up, you can even test LED.

Skimmers will get you advice all over the board. One thing I would look for are some of the skimmers that are scaleable rather than just oversized.. Several offer extentions for necks, and the ability to upgrade or add a pump without changing anything else out. You are hooked pretty good w/ this hobby.. you'll be adding something to the system sooner or later

I'm crawling back under my rock and hiding now... lol

the thing that stands out IMO is power consumption... amount of salt require to fill it

and just overall more money to run... but eazyer to run

lol so true....

i look at it this way, the money we spend on our tanks is so so so so so so so much better then the money put out for cars, gas, every day things we take for granted

Dave,

IMO, a skimmer is the most important piece of equipment you will buy..lights are 1a on the list..it is like the CPU or brains of your computer w/o it, it doesn't function very well and the results are unsatisfactory.

here is my thought process...first I determined the bioload that your tank will have and then obtain a list of skimmers will accomdate that request....i knew that my tank was going to be more fish than corals, i also knew that my tank was going to be heavy in large angels and tangs...so the bioload footprint was large...i got a skimmer that was able to handle all of my requests and then some..this is a piece of equipment that you should NOT save money on...buy the best damn skimmer you can for your situation that is within your means...the same thought process can be used for choosing lights but questions to be asked are LPS vs SPS, T5 vs MH or LEDs, etc..

HTH,
Kirk

I definately plan to buy a good skimmer, I will get one that is rated for a heavy bioload at my gallon rating, I dont know what Bioload Ill have, but rather be ready for anything from light to heavy, when I determine that LOL. still havent decided on the sump/fuge thing. I am assuming Ill add roughly a 100 G with whatever I do on the sump(s) design lol. so Ill looking into Skimmers that can accomodate at the very least.
I imagine we will do a mixed reef, by then...Ill know more about keeping advanced level coral.
Ill follow LED vs Plasma arc lighting as data is published meanwhile. I do know Ill gio LED at the very least, and if Plasma shows promise, may venture there!

Its Home

Wheeeeeew was an event, but its home :) and a crack in a window so I bought a window to boot LOL

Thanks Khaosinc for a great deal.

Thanks NWdiver for a great deal of help

Back