Treated for Red Bug yesterday.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tito - if you scroll up to my last post, click the link to the "Red-bugs - Inevitable" thread. The first post has a link to the "cure" for red-bugs by Dustin Dorton.

Scott - thanks so much for the information....and another book I have added to my "want" list :D. The tough thing about hobbiests being the guinea pigs, is then the evidence of effectiveness is only looked at as anecdotal.

NaH2O said:
Scott - thanks so much for the information....and another book I have added to my "want" list :D. The tough thing about hobbiests being the guinea pigs, is then the evidence of effectiveness is only looked at as anecdotal.

Yeah, I find it a bit humerous considering DVMs and MDs can make a living by publishing case studies (IMO, very similar to a hobbiest treating his tank with Interceptor...an isolated incident with one treatment option and a reported outcome). But, until a controlled experiment is performed and the methodology is reviewed by peers, then it is not going to find its way in the Zoo Med and Aquatic Med journals. So, hobbiest themselves are left to break ground, because they are the only ones that are willing to fund such endeavors. And ultimately, we are the ones that act as "peers" to discuss the methodologies. It just goes to show how important these boards really are for the advancement of the hobby...

Take er easy
Scott T.

tito martinez said:
scott is milbemycin oxime what LakeEd is refering to?? And if so Im also very interested in the dosege per gallon to use.
Thanks

Hey Tito, where have you bought infected corals here in PR, so far the ones I've bought have been bug free.

Sorry for the hijack guys!!

Ive seen them in a lot of stores.Ive also aquired corals from the U.S. already infected.Here in P.R. acros arent all that famous among hobbiest but there is a group or two loving it.Ive seen coral tanks in stores completly filled with the bugs but sence few people really know what they are the store keep selling and "wait" for the bugs to gradually dissapear caried by the corals they sell.

ScottT1980 said:
So, hobbiest themselves are left to break ground, because they are the only ones that are willing to fund such endeavors. And ultimately, we are the ones that act as "peers" to discuss the methodologies.

Great point, Scott.

for sure sometime down the road when enough people have tryed it someone with the willingness $$$$$$$$$$$:) :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: will say Hey look what i discovered]:p :p :p

Tito what corals and bugs are you talking about? The bugs discussed here are Acropora Sp. specific parasites. And we are lucky to find an Acro colony after visiting 10 stores over here... ????

well remember that as parasites they go around looking for a host so sometimes you may not see them but it does not mean they are not there.When stores buy from wholesales these dont have a specific tank for acroporas so they mix sps with lps and thus if a coral is infected all corals in this sistem will be infected.I dont understand why but ive noticed most infected shipments during the months from dic---feb.Ive worked with some wholesales in California and recieved a shipment in jan that was infected.And the funny thing is that I didnt recived a single sps.

Hmmm....the red bugs are acropora specific and will not live past a week without an Acropora sp. In the "red bug - Inevitable?" thread, the bugs did infect someone's tank from coming home on a clam out of a tank with the bugs, but if you don't have any Acroporas, then the bugs shouldn't live in your system. Perhaps I misunderstood...tito - do you have Acros in your system?

Back