Tunze stream vs. wavebox

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hooked

I'm wanting to increase the circulation in my tank. All seven of my returns are at the surface of the water--The turbulence is great there, but I feel like there are a lot of low flow areas in the bottom half of the tank. I don't currently have any "wavemaking" via alternating cycles. So, I thought I'd either add 2 6000 streams with a multicontroller or a wavebox.

Anyone have experience with these that could give me some insight into the pros and cons of either? I do have a sandbed.

TIA

Only problem with the tunze streams is getting them. Its a 10 week wait on the new style multi controller and 4-6 week wait on the 6000, and 6100. I had to order for a tank, a 6200 and a single controller and a 1" sea swirl. It works awesome. The tunze is the baddest thing I have ever seen. Never had a wave box, but if its the one I think it is from reading the "extra long belts and plastic screws" made me shy away. Steve

Tagging along. Katrina - I don't think the sand bed would be a problem, as long as the flow isn't directed down or too close to the substrate. I think either would be beneficial to your tank. Let me know when you are ready to install. I'd like to help. We could place them strategically so detritus gets sent towards the overflow.

Or you could ditch the sandbed, go BB, and really crank up the flow...

:D:D:D:D:D

Steve, She's talking about the Tunze Wavebox. I think you're thinking about the Wave 2k which relies on pulleys and belts.

Interestingly enough, the wavewbox is not listed on the Tunze home website any more.

Tunze USA

Nick

weird that it isn't on there website. Remember you can easily lower the flow on the streams if it disturbs the flow.

Is the TUNZE setup pretty much the best for flow on a tank?
-AND-
What setup would be ideal for a 220gal

Tunzes are really nice, but what is best for flow in one tank may not be the best for another.

Maxx said:
Or you could ditch the sandbed, go BB, and really crank up the flow...

lololol - I've been working on that. Too bad she likes the look :rolleyes: hehehehe. Just teasing Katrina!

http://www.sewatec.de

Hi Guys not sure if this is any help but I got my Tunze streams mail order to China from this German reef site - They ship world wide and delivery was 5 weeks only so I assume they carry stock

Goods arrived in great condition
I ordered the Tunze streams an IKS PH tester and a Deltec mc600 skimmer at same time and all arrived without damage

It may be an option for you if you cannot get what you need quicker

Jiddy - they are best water circulation method I have used there is no direct flow as such just a nice pulsing of water across the tank -any one who uses them would not go back to Power heads in my opinion

Thats it Brad, That would be awesome. I tried to contact tunze Germany and tunze uk but the said I had to talk to tunze USA. I got em from marine depot. 6200 in stock.

steve My local store didn't know what I was talking about at first so I went over to the powerhead isle and they had 6000, 6100, controllers and more. They had them for like 6 months and no one was aware of them so why sell them. They said no one wants to pay 300 for a powerhead but people pay a lot more for other things. I wanted to say no one wants to pay 300 for a 175 watt halide retro either, but thats because they can get one for half that.

Hey Brad, Next time your in there see what they want for a 6100 and a singletroller. I might buy that instead of a seaswirl 1" Dont make a special trip or anything. That is going to be my next major purchase. Heck if they knew they were scarce right now they would raise the price, call them rare, and sell out in a day. LOL. Steve

Katrina, how is the decision making process going?

Still wanting to hear from someone with a wavebox. :)

I'm leaning toward the streams--does anyone use a controller to run them rather than the Tunze multicontroller?

Back