understanding water pump pressure?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

my closed loop is run by a sequence pump....it says RPM 1350/1650, cust. Part No. M0220

my return is a Gen X Model PCX 55 HP, 1141 GPH, Speed 3200 is what i read on the pump

I have one seio M2600 running also.

I cut slits in my closed loop due to the small holes plugging up. I cut too many or too large and now I have a couple area's piling up with detritus in my BB tank.

i'm trying to figure out my pump pressure so i can fix my problem. I don't understand enough about the pumps and pressure and what-not. How do i figure out how big to cut slits in a replacement pipe, i have 1.5" from the pump going into the tank, the spraybar is 1" pipe.

The problem is actually quite complex, due to an number of factors (how smooth the edges of the slot are, etc.). And unfortunately, spraybars with small-enough openings to produce high velocities are also subject to plugging (as you found out).

You might have better luck if you modified your spray bar to include some flexible nozzles. That way you can aim the nozzles to keep detritus clear, based on your specific rockwork.

I was thinking of a nozzle, but my husband said i needed to know pressure etc. He uses nozzles for spraying fertilizer with our fertilizer truck for wheat on our farm, so he understands more than me. I'm just trying to figure out what i can do with the pump and spraybar issue.

I understand this is complex, is there a way to determine how many or large of holes/slits; size of them?

i adjust my flow so that detritus piles up in easy to siphon areas of the tank... makes removal during water changes super easy... i wouldnt worry about the slots if the flow in the tank is good and things are happy

it used to all go into my sump, since i made the holes into slots some stays in my tank now. It's much easier to clean it from my sump area.

Back