updated Tank pix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ooh, what is the placement and lighting of your ponape birdsnest? That is a le ponape birdsnest in the second pic, right?
No it's not Ponape birdnest, although it is an interesting variety of s.hystrix.:) It's located about mid level (tank dimensions are 96W x 36D x 27H ) under mainly the T5 lights in the back end of the tank.

nice. i pre ordered the mp10 for my 28g nano but it wont be out for a few more weeks they tell me. i really like the way they work. such a simple design you would think someone wouldve thought of it before them.

june16043birdofmanycolors.jpg

No it's not Ponape birdnest, although it is an interesting variety of s.hystrix.:) It's located about mid level (tank dimensions are 96W x 36D x 27H ) under mainly the T5 lights in the back end of the tank.

Snappy, Amazing, as always!!! To me, that particular S. Hystrix looks like ORA's Birds of Paradise, which is a beautiful color rendition of Birdsnest!! Thanks for the update and beautiful pictures!!

After looking at pics of the le ponape birdsnest and the ORA bird of paradise, it doesn't really look like either. It actually looks like a mix of the two and prettier than both IMO. I wonder if they sell that in the U.S.?

le ponape birdsnest:
http://www.exoticfrags.us/corals.php?f=55&c=40

ORA bird of paradise
http://www.oracorals.com/ora-bird-of-paradise.asp

ya it does look like the are mixed together.It like the shape of the ponape with the pointy end which i like on birdnest better than the round ends and the colors of the bird of paradise.

very pretty as are all of your corals.

That BN is simular to Tubs purple polyp BN. It definately is NOT the ORA BOP. The ORA BOP doesn't have pointy tipped branches it is round like the ORA green BN.

Greg this pic here looks a little odd.

may30206misc111.jpg
To be honest I'm not sure exactly what you are finding odd?
I assume you are referring to the loisetteae that has A.convexa growing off the branch? The a.convexa is more aggressive and where those two corals were touching in my old tank the red one, convexa killed a small spot in the middle of that branch and is now growing quite well on it's new host. Or perhaps the branch that has an invasive variety of coraline algae growing on the end? Maybe you are referring to the three varieties of turbinaria surrounding the base? I don't know???
Regarding the photoshop comment by Myteemouse, I assure you this is not the case. I have no idea how to even do something like that on photoshop. My computer skills are very limited.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind remarks.

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
Great shots! I really like the green and the green with purple tips Seriatopora. The A. multiacuta isn't too shabby either :) If you come to Spokane I would like a few frags.

I believe the blue Acropora is A. lovelli. A. loisetteae has more scale-like radial corallites like A. millepora. Also in captivity (and sometimes in the wild) it exhibits extreme polyp extension and looks like a thinner version of A. abrolhosensis.

Cheers,
Kevin

Gorgeous tank Greg. In the last pic there is some gsp creeping on the right side, are you having any problems with the gsp climbing up your sps base?

Hi Greg,
Great shots! I really like the green and the green with purple tips Seriatopora. The A. multiacuta isn't too shabby either :) If you come to Spokane I would like a few frags.

I believe the blue Acropora is A. lovelli. A. loisetteae has more scale-like radial corallites like A. millepora. Also in captivity (and sometimes in the wild) it exhibits extreme polyp extension and looks like a thinner version of A. abrolhosensis.

Cheers,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin. That blue coral has really morphed since I put it in the new tank. It was purchaesed as a frag of Steve Elias loisetteae but whatever it is I like it. I have some "known" lovelli's in the tank as well and it's quite different than those but who knows? Not sure when I will be in Spokane, it's likely been 25+ years since I was there last but If I for some reason come down I'll let you know.;) I'm pretty sure you have plenty I'd like to get from you as well.

Gorgeous tank Greg. In the last pic there is some gsp creeping on the right side, are you having any problems with the gsp climbing up your sps base?
Thanks Luke. I have the odd patch here & there but the area you are asking about is not a problem yet. No problems with it being invasive in this talk YET. I may pull that coral out and scrape the GSP off the rock if I can.

very very nice as always,,,your picture and your coral always amazing to me,,all i can say is,,i like to do the trade some day,,what you think?:):):)
i am still leaning to do the top down shot without getting my camera wet,,just can't wait:D

Last edited:
Back