very shallow crushed shell

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
I couldn't really do a deep sand bed for this tank, and after talking to some poeple, and figuring out how long it would take to establish a deep bed, I decided to go a new route- I put about 1 cm of crushed shell substrate on the bottom, basically to cover up the glass.

Is there something I am missing, or is this fine? I wanted something the eel could play with a little bit, and I just didn't want to look at the glass on the bottom.

Crushed Coral does have it's following, however, I think most agree that it is much more "maintenance intensive" than sand. It seems to contribute to nitrate problems and grows algae on it much easier than sand. However, for some inhabitants, the crushed coral is better for burrowing in and such. It's also less likely to totally get sucked up if you ever do any syphoning of the substrate. I've had both crushed coral and the finer sands. I did have more problems with algae in the crushed coral. That could also be because it was my first SW tank and I was very inexperienced still...lol. I think I'd suggest adding a little more though. I'd shoot for 1/2" - 3/4" deep for a shallow sand bed, which I think is a better way to go than DSB anyway.

Also, you want to use a fine sand if you are going to have anything that buries itself. The crushed coral is too coarse and can cause abrasions leading to nasty bacterial infections.

Thanks,

the eel does not bury himself at all, rather pushes the substate out of the way to make cave openings under the live rock.

I am now considering adding some reef sand to the top of the shell, and mixing it in slightly, this my be the best look for the tank, and be better for the inhabitants.

I have also been playing with the idea that live sand is really not neccesary in such a small tank(20 g) with such little substrate. thoughts?

Thanks,

I have also been playing with the idea that live sand is really not neccesary in such a small tank(20 g) with such little substrate. thoughts?

I am a proponent of using LR and sand. Someone on this forum has a saying in their signature, "More nature, less technology" or something to that effect - hits the nail on the head.

This is the religion I live by as well. However, it just seems that this tank, being so small, would just not benefit as much from the live sand(that and I have to order some from MD which I don't want to do right now =-) considering I don't want that much of it. When I set this tank up, I brought about 10 gallons of water from the old tank with me, none of the substrate beacuse it was full of cyno, and I had a big sponge as well I stuck in a hangon filter to pull out detritus while doing the rock work and making a big mess otherwise.

I am also unsure of the percetage of live sand that is still alive after packing and shipping. perhaps someone can explain how it survives in an airtight plastic bag.

Smaller tanks will benefit just as much as larger tanks from live sand and live rock...maybe even more so. Smaller tanks are more difficult to keep parameters correct in. Live rock and live sand are basically your filtration system. The more substrate you have for the beneficial bacteria to grow on, the better.

Hi Mike, Our LFS will sell livesand right out of his sps tank, Yummy It helps me keep my 15 gallon 20 inch tall refuge style hex balanced. IMO you need it in a mini even more due to not as much room for LR.

Ok, good to know. I guess the real problem will be buying a small ammount. If anyone local has a few pounds sand they could part with let me know(that may be a tough order but worth a shot).

i have CC not a problem....

no diffrent then sand IMO but

you can use ither

sand isn't going to sit on top of the cc, it will wiggle its way to the glass, and you will have cc on top again after time. i love sand btw.

Both of you are correct. The wider variation of size between the sand and the coral will definitely cause the sand to settle. If you mix the live sand with the correct amounts of a few different sizes of crushed coral it will blend without the settling and separation problem...

Back