Vortech and ATO

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

makeme1098

Reader
I am getting ready to order a MP20 for my 33 cube but I have a question before I place an order. I have an ATO censor in the display tank and was wondering if Vortech would cause ATO to disfunction if I make waves in the tank. Please let me know if anyone here got some suggestion.

Thanks,

HT

You could set the ATO on a timer to only allow water to be added at a certain time and then turn off the vortex just before during and after that short period of time.

it's real tough to maintain a constant water level using the display. Do you not have a sump? If you do put the ATO in the sump. If not then here is what I did for a while.....you can put a piece of PVC around the float switch to prevent the waves from hitting it directly. With a Vortech you are going to get varying levels as the pump runs up and down (thus the wave). This will trigger your ATO over and over again. Problem you are going to have is that the vortech not only moves water at the surface but all over the tank so you aren't going to be able to stop the ATO from cycling (at least I can't think of a way). What I have suggested should damp it out a little, but it is still going to trigger. Good luck.

thanks for the ideas. I think I just need to get it and play around with it to find what my options are. I should be doing tank upgrade sometime soon so if Vortech doesn't work out, I just have to get a bigger tank with sump sooner.

Back