Vortech Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Stole from over at RC...Melev is a beta tester and just posted some interesting info.....

Originally posted by melev
Okay, I'm all caught up. I've been running the VorTech as well in my tank for the past three weeks. I'd like to thank VorTech for letting us speak about our impressions finally.

When I opened my box, I swear I heard angels in the heavens singing. :D
vortech_packaged.jpg

vortech_system.jpg

vortech_surface.jpg

vortech_end.jpg

It has been very interesting testing the pump to see what it would and what it wouldn't. Everyone mentions directing the flow. I've seen no need. The flow is wide.

The intake grate is large enough to suck in food without clogging, and chop it up even finer for my smaller fish. ;) It doesn't clog. Snails climb all over it, and seem unaffected at all. I've had my longnose hawkfish perch on it and swim away easily.

The pump doesn't eat up a lot of real-estate, nor block my viewing panel. This is very important to me and why I've never had a pump on this end of the tank.

The sound - we all care about sound. It is very very low, like the sound of a computer tower's power supply on the floor under your desk. You know it is on, but it doesn't stop you from doing what you need to do. When it is running 100%, you are still aware of it. If you had these on your tank inside the fish room, you'd never hear a thing as your skimmer would likely be far more noisy. My entire setup is pretty quiet, as is my home. It hasn't bothered me at all, including when I watch TV & movies. No complaints at all.

The glass of my tank is 1/2" thick, so I have a pad on the inside and outside of my tank. Moving the pump takes both hands, working from the inside and outside of the tank at the same time. It is very easy to move it and keep it aligned.

When you first set it up, you may hear some mild noise coming from it as things need to slime over like all other plumbing parts. I never really heard anything, but it actually got more silent the next day. If that makes sense.

The propellar cover has a flat area to face upward to avoid vortexing air into the pump. And when I had it within 1" of the surface, it still didn't vortex. That was really surprising, and cool.

The one negative I can think of is that every person that sees it puts their hands on it and says "what's this for?" I want a label on it that says "If you didn't pay for this, don't touch it!" :lol: If the person tries to pull it or move it, they can cause the inner half to drop to the bottom of the tank. It hasn't happened yet, but I could imagine someone doing it if I wasn't there staring them down. :rolleyes:

I have SPS corals about 16" from the VorTech (when it was positioned in the picture above), and two corals ended up with a small bald spot due to running it on high. I moved the pump more toward the front of the tank to avoid that direct contact and both are doing just fine. Of course, turning down the flow at the driver box is easily done as well.

Because I have two Tunze 6100 Streams at the opposite end of my tank, they pump against each other. The sandbed has definitely shifted, due to the undertow all three pumps create. My tank is 72" x 30" x 30".

As I expected at MACNA, I knew this would be a hit. I'm very happy with what I've seen thus far, and am excited about the controller and battery backup as well. Had VorTech decided to not release the pump for another six months just so they could have a controller to go with it, I still would have waited. And face it, many people will probably try to buy the pump only, to save money. So there really isn't a reason to demand a controller from Day 1. These are the same guys running Maxijets and Seio pumps with no controlling ability.

You can demonstrate flow by dropping food in the tank, or pouring in Purple Up or some type of alkalinity booster, but the tank will get cloudy.

It was nice to see how it looked on the outside of a tank too....
Granted, Marc has a 280 gallon tank, but the "Hockey Puck" doesnt appear to be any more visually distracting than the Tunze Streams he also has in the tank...maybe less so.

Nick

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting! Nick a very good set of pictures and gives alot of feed back I really want one but am hesatant because I have a tank full of small gobies ( Golden neons, Masked and others) and I think they may go thru the pump??
Maybe the screens can be made smaller?

maxx said:
It was nice to see how it looked on the outside of a tank too....
Granted, Marc has a 280 gallon tank, but the "Hockey Puck" doesnt appear to be any more visually distracting than the Tunze Streams he also has in the tank...maybe less so.

Nick

The Apprentice said:
Thanks for posting! Nick a very good set of pictures and gives alot of feed back I really want one but am hesatant because I have a tank full of small gobies ( Golden neons, Masked and others) and I think they may go thru the pump??
Maybe the screens can be made smaller?

All of my info is coming from this thread....icecap pump????.... over on RC, and people who have been beta testing them for the manufacturer.

On page 35 of the thread, another beta tester answers your questions about smaller fish and the size of the grill.

by Blueasher
Potential VorTech owners,

I've been beta testing the VorTech pump on my 30gal Oceanic cube. Since I started my tank in 2003, I’ve used 3 and/or 4 maxijets (900 and 1200’s) to create flow. This tactic has proved to be less than adequate for my tank. I don’t like how all my maxijets have to be up at the top of the tank because of their bracket, and if I use the suction cups the pumps always fall down. In contrast, the VorTech has enabled me to get the kind of flow I have been looking for and allowed me to remove the other 4 pumps from my tank.

Observations:

No, the VorTech will not suck in small fish, such as clown gobies. I know because I have a clown goby in the tank.

For small tanks, the speed knob enables you to keep the VorTech on the tank with the appropriate flow, reducing the amount of pumps needed while increasing the room in your tank. The VorTech takes up less space overall then a single maxijet did.

Moreover, this pump has improved the quality of my tank overall. The increased water flow has stirred up detritus and sand from my live rock.

Because I now have only one pump, located on the lower rear wall of my tank, the aesthetic quality of the tank has improved. I also have more room for my fish to swim, always a plus. I’ll update with some photos later and I’ll take a video but someone else will need to host it for me.

Ash :)

Also from pg 35

Originally posted by thrlride
A little in the future but are you guys going to program in a fish saver type of thing in the controller so that the prop bumps every few seconds to keep fish and snails out?

Originally posted by leftovers
i've got two VT's in my tank and there is absolutely no need for this. My snails crawl all over them just fine.

Also Marc, (Melev) posted in his review (The one I quoted and pasted here with the pictures of it) that his hawkfish perched on it and had no trouble swimming away....

Nick

Hi,

I would just like to say. If anyone is interested in seeing the vortech in action. I will have the pump at Blue Sierra Exotics (in Issaquah, Washington) at 12:00PM on saturday the 4th.

-Josh-:cool:

At a MSRP of $345 they are expensive. I sure hope the retailers get a good price and pass the savings along.

Don

DonW said:
At a MSRP of $345 they are expensive. I sure hope the retailers get a good price and pass the savings along.

Don
And that DOES NOT include the battery backup or the controller they have talked about

They must be hoping for a slew of "gatta have its" because that is mighty hefty compared to Tunze which has to figure the exchange rate into the picture adn should be more expensive because of that. They either can't get the manufacturing pricing down or they are pocketing a bigger %. Myself, I'll wait and either see if they get realistic in price or I'll pick up a couple of Tunze 6100's or 6200's from the "gotta have it" crowd. I can hide Tunzes just fine in a 450 gallon tank. It might be the next best thing, but it's not worth that kind of price, especially when considering I would have to buy another controller, I already have the Tunze controller, and I would have to have the battery back-up(best feature IMO). That, and who knows how much the Controller is going to be. I would hate to buy the pumps and then find out the Controller was twice as expensive. I'll wait and see. Cool idea though.

I agree, I really had hoped their price point would be closer to $300 without the controller. I can wait and see how they go. At $700 for two + a controller, there are a lot of alternatives.

350 bones per unit eh... Might make sense for tanks under 150gal keeping a mixed reef, but get into larger SPS tanks and you would need 1200.00 worth of those to achieve your goals versus a 600.00 closed loop system.

::just me thinking out loud::

Yea, at $200 per, I might think about it. But, sitting here with two Tunze 6100's with Controller already and a spare Sequence 5800 gph pump, I can add two 6100's (or 6200's) to my system for much less or buy an OM four way for another CL. My tank is already drilled for an additional CL. I have been thinking about adding flow for a couple months, especially since seeing this pump and the "original" target MSRP of $250. Instead, they now come out at 40% above that. Nobody is going to discount these things unless they aren't selling, but we know that probably won't be the case as the quantity will be limited and we reefers like our gadgets. I wonder what the price elasticity model would show for these and if they would actually make more for selling them at a much lower price given volume. Not having the Controller available and not knowing the price for same is a real problem.

All that being said, would I trade my Tunzes in for this unit given the Controllers were out, probably since it takes up less space and might be easier to place in the tank. BUT, that is not the decision for me right now. My decision is one of alternatives and this kind of price point far outweighs the advantages in my case.

They seem to also be targeting those customers that do not already own Tunze or have tanks that are not conducive to a CL.

Time will tell, it really is a cool gadget.

VegasMike said:
Myself, I'll wait and either see if they get realistic in price or I'll pick up a couple of Tunze 6100's or 6200's from the "gotta have it" crowd.

My thoughts exactly!!

Brian

Willy said:
And that DOES NOT include the battery backup or the controller they have talked about

Where did you get this information? I didnt see anything about the battery backup not being included in this price.

Originally posted by EcoTech Marine
We decided that since we never really got much interest in the VorTech pump, we’d release more information to stir up some excitement ;)

The official Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the VorTech MP40 is $345.00. This price is a maximum suggested retail price; we do not impose price minimums. Price will vary from vendor to vendor.

Product will be available in limited quantities from specific vendors sometime in March, 06. Larger quantities will be available in April.

The product consumes between 35 and 40 watts of energy at its highest output, some pumps will operate at higher wattage during break in. Our lab tested flow rate is 3100 gph. During the development of this product we benchmarked it against several other products using a standard procedure to measure the flow rate of the pump. We found that some of our competitors were not hitting their claimed flow rate. The VorTech provides ~25% more flow then the performance we measured from our closest competitor, and does this at 10% less wattage, amounting to a product which is overall ~30% more efficient. Additionally, flow is capable of being turned down to approximately several hundred gallons per hour. This product is capable of being used on tanks as small as 20 gallons. How do we know? EcoTech Marine has been running it on a 29 gallon system for months.

We realize that manufacturers’ statements only mean so much to many of you. Third party testing is in process and will be published in the near future.

We sincerely appreciate all of the interest in this product and are looking forward to the coming months.

Best Regards,

Tim

They discussed on the icecap pump thread that the controller wouldnt be available for a few months, but the battery back up had been planned for release with the unit itself.

Nick

maxx said:
Where did you get this information? I didnt see anything about the battery backup not being included in this price.

They discussed on the icecap pump thread that the controller wouldnt be available for a few months, but the battery back up had been planned for release with the unit itself.

Nick
Sorry bout that, I was assuming it would be extra

Willy said:
Sorry bout that, I was assuming it would be extra

Where does it say that it does come with the battery pack? Anyone know if this is a add-on or not?

Don

Back