Waterflow through PO4 Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

Hi

I have a Two Little Fishies phosphate reactor hooked up with a mini-jet 404 pump. It pushes water at 106gph, per vendor.

This seemed fine while I was using Phosguard media, the larger white phosphate absorbers. But I added a small amount of iron-based Phosban, the very small brown grains. Instructions on this say to not use enough water flow to cause the granuals to rub together as they will disintegrate and possibly harm your livestock.

When I turned the pump back on it seemed like the water flow was too much for the Phosban. The particles were bubbling around pretty good and even starting to come through the top of the sponge filter.

What would you recommend for maximum flow through this reactor if using a ferric oxide PO4 remover? What kind of pump?

Thanks...

The pump you have is fine. There should be a valve installed to adjust the flow down.

Don

I heard the recommended flow rate to be around 300gph but don't quote me on that! Also try using a filter bag containing the media with-in the reactor I know of many people that run this same reactor this way with great success.

The main thing with phosban media (like the Julian Sprungs formula for eg) is to not have the media tumble around. Less is more in tbhis case with flow so try not to get the media tumbling and you'll be fine. Some will alow a slight surface aggitation of the media only which is fine, but for me persnally, I went for even less. :)

Back