What are your experiences with the Poseidon P-4/Velocity T-4

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I recently changed my main return pump from a Pan World pump to a Poseidon P-4.
I did this expecting to have to deal with heat being produced by the pump and adding a few degrees to my 180 gallon tank.
Every thread I have read, someone always will say that they produce way to much heat, to be a good return pump on a tank without a chiller.
After looking at the pump, the first thing you notice is it is alot smaller because it does not have a fan on it.
So when I hooked it up to my sump, I also added a new clip-on fan that has a low speed. I dropped the temp on the top end of the heat setting on the tank heater, and let er rip.
The first thing I noticed is that there was "O" pump noise. If the water hadn't started moving out of the sump, I'd swear the pump hadn't started.
When I got up the next morning I expected the tank to be at or near the normal 78, but it was at 75.5.
Since then I raised the top end temp on the heater back to where it was and have the fan on the same timer as my actinics.
I am not seeing the increase in tank temp that I have read about.
I really think these pumps are getting a bad rep as tank heaters.
Anybody else use one??

just wait until it gets a nice calcium layer inside it, you'll get the heat your looking for;)
seriously though, the trick with these pumps is to take it apart and do MONTHLY maintenance to keep it clean, use very hot water and vinegar.

Back