What kind of water...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

phetish

Hi folks -

I just moved to Seattle and I'm looking for some insights. I've been keeping my tank for about 2 years now, in various cities across the country and have learned that things are done differently in different parts of the country.

Back in Oklahoma where i started, fresh natural seawater (NSW) was impossible to get, so everyone used RO/DI water mixed with your preferred salt mix. I liked it because i knew i was starting with pure water and adding only what i wanted into it.

In Los Angeles, NSW was the standard, and RO/DI Saltwater was difficult to find.

what is the traditional/common source of water around here? Any suggestions on LFS's that carry RO/DI based salt water?

I'm actually in the First Hill/Capitol Hill area, so someplace near by would be nice. I've been pointed to "The Fish Shop" on ?Roosevelt? - any comments?

Thanks in Advance!

Derek

Most people mix their own (using instant ocean, etc.), starting with RO (or RODI) water. IMO, RODI isn't necessary (just RO), since the Seattle tap water is pretty clean (last time I tested, it was about 30ppm TDS).

You can get NSW from the Seattle Aquarium. It is fairly inexpensive. Downside is that you have to treat it for phosphates (do a search - I give a detailed procedure that starts with adding 2tsp kalk per 5 gal NSW to precipitate the phosphate, an airstone to blow off the excess pH from the kalk, and then adding a bit of buffer to bring the alk up) Takes a bit of time, but so does making RO water, mixing the salt and aerating it. And the Seattle aquarium water is cheap ($.05/gal, I think - my wife pays the bill)

I haven't been into the Fish store in a while - last time I was there it was more of a freshwater store and their saltwater tanks didn't look that great. But that was at least 2 years ago.

dnjan, thanks for the info!

i went to "the fish store" on Roosevelt this afternoon.

as for water, they said:

them: well, the tap water around here is pretty good, so most people just use tap water and add salt mix.
me: WHA??
them: yeah, we'll throw some carbon in there to pull out any metals and stuff, but that's all. you might get a little cyano from it though.
me: WHA?
them: i think there's only one shop around seattle that sells RO mixed water and they are around Bellevue for all the rich people.
me: uh, tap water?

i'm sorry, but i just can't fathom using tap water for top-off/mixing water. I realize that i'm drinking tap water and that should be good enough for my fish - but it's not. I'd rather KNOW what I'm putting in my tank, than guess at what might or might not be in the tap water. Anyone have any suggestions for getting RO water?

as for their tanks, it's about 60/40 fresh/salt. the saltwater tanks looked good, with some healthy looking lps/softies. no SPS that i saw. fish selection was a little light from my perspective

Like I said, the tapwater is around 30 ppm TDS. So, for a fish only, mixing the salt with tap water would be no problem. If I needed to do a major water change, using tap water to mix the salt would not be a big concern. Even a non-SPS tank would probably be OK with tap water.

Glad to hear that the Fish Store's saltwater tanks looked good.

Don't waste your time with the fish store. I can literraly walk there from my house and I never go.

Check out Blue Sierra in Issaquah and Saltwater city in bellevue. They both have a much much better salt selection then the fish store. I am pretty sure they both sell premixed saltwater if you really need it, but id recomend getting a ro/di.

Towards the end of November Barrier Reef is moving in to a store in Renton. These guys are the best and their inventory they had in their garage run business blew away the all the LFS's. I eagerly await their grand opening!

TDS does not measure pH, phosphate, or nitrate and is a poor method of testing water for a captive system. Many municiple water systems actually add phosphate to the water. And then you have to deal with all the stuff the water picks up on its way to you. There really is no place to get CLEAN NSW close to Seattle and when I am helping someone set up a system, I always recommend RO/DI. It is cheap, easy to implement, and as safe for your tank as you can get.

Hauling gallons of water around is an insane way to take care of a tank IMO and having an emergency supply is very important. I recommend you set up a simple RO/DI system and hold at least 20% of your system's volume for water changes. If you need sources for RO/DI materials, filters etc. PM me and I'll reply with sources.

TDS is an excellent way of measuring dissolved organics... It is the Total Dissolved Solids... If there are chemicals in there, they will show up by that reading.

-Josh-:cool:

Back