• DSB (4 inches and over)

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • No sand

Votes: 28 16.7%

• Total voters

NaH2O

The most recent poll was What's Your Tank Bottom?. I was interested in how many people voted for sand substrate, and now want to break that down into SSB vs. DSB.

Sand people....how deep is your sand bed?

I've broken it down.....SSB is 2 inches and under, and DSB is 4 inches and over (from what I remember DSB is normally 4-6 inches). If you are in between that I guess you are a MSB (mid depth sandbed? :)) and should vote for other.

I voted 4-6" However, the sand isn't flat in my tank due to the clowns 'swishing' it all alway to the other side. So now its more like 6" ---> 2"

- Elmo

I voted for no sand because the mini-beast is bare bottomed. However, I do have a 2-1/2 - 3 inch sand bed in the 12 gallon nano. I didn't want to go deeper than that because I wouldn't have much room for aquascaping.......but because the tank is skimmerless :eek: - I figured I needed something to compost the wastes :D

I have a shallow bed in my tank. I just yesterday did a complete 6" deep sand bed removal from a 150 I take care of. I put down pvc racks and cutting board. I could not even begin to believe the amount of junk in the sand bed. It was terrible. It looks nice now. I also installed a 1" sea swirl, and a 6200 (5100 gph) Tunze with a single controller. I had a asm g-3 skimmer to install as well but due to my measureing (duhh) it fit exactly perfect, which was great except that there was no room to remove the top or the collection cup. Since I got it wet, I just went ahead and ate the cost and installed it on my 75. A little excessive but oh well. I took this tank over and it has been a real bear. It was a 150 reef, with a sandbed, cheap base rock, no skimmer, and a tidepool 2 with 600 gph return pump and of course every thing kept dying. It looks nice now, but it has been trouble.

DSB ranges from 4-6", variation due to current in tank...

Plan on replacing about an 1" or so every year, depending on how well I think the tank is doing.

Take er easy
Scott T.

As with others, I had a bit of trouble voting on this one! I have a shallow (1-2") "rim" around the outside edges of the 180, about 1" on the bottom of the 11, and anywhere from nothing to 3" in the 30 hex. I have a sand sifting Dragon Gobi in the 30, and how deep the sand is depends completely on where he wants to put it. :)

Ssb

Good Poll Nikki I have a 2"-4" sand bed in My 75 gallon sps & clam tank this was mainly for the Leopard Wrasses and like Charlie's Tank i have a 3/4" sea swirl on mine so i have dunes in with the live rock It hasn't given me trouble so far :doubt: I also have a Valenciennea sexguttata Blue Cheek Gobie that does a great job of dumping sand all over my SPS :evil:

NaH2O said:
The most recent poll was What's Your Tank Bottom?. I was interested in how many people voted for sand substrate, and now want to break that down into SSB vs. DSB.

Sand people....how deep is your sand bed?

I've broken it down.....SSB is 2 inches and under, and DSB is 4 inches and over (from what I remember DSB is normally 4-6 inches). If you are in between that I guess you are a MSB (mid depth sandbed? :)) and should vote for other.

Man class clown, this is strange how you posted to all the stuff i did in '05.
I have since added sand to my bottom. 2" of fine crushed coral. Looks awesome and i was able to keep the CL from affecting it.

My fine sugar sand would be about 2" if leveled out. I have a yellow headed/blue cheek goby, however, that LOVES to re-aquascape my tank :D

I voted "other"
(not deep, not shallow)
mine is about 3"

I was thinking mine is CC, but it's "more fine" than the CC I see pics of.
I took a sample into my LFS,
they said it's not really CC, but a "Course Agrigate" or somehting like that.

they said I'd be better off with reef sand, but (knowing I'm looking at upgrading to a larger tank this year) suggest leaving it alone with this tank, and just getting new when I'm ready to do the new tank.

under the 1 1/2

I was going for the 2 1/2, but i was convinced by a very convincing, convincer not to go above the 1 inch . It was either to go for 1 inch or the 9 inch that would of matter, anything in between is pure waste of time according to him and a few article i red. His tank is 51 year old and its a cold tank.

Back