who has a softy/LPS dominant tank? looking for ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think it's time for me to pick which SPS I can't part with and start selling/trading. You guys have me sold on the softy tank.

Any other nuggets of advice?

RE:If you have one please either post a pic

Hi Reed I don't have anything to trade but thought you would like some pictures. I kept my 150 tank a lps and Softie tank since i set it up Back in March of 04. I have a toadstool that i got about the size of a large marshmelow from Yellow Tang when i was setting up. That dude is 14" accross now! Most of my LPS was picked up from Upscales in portland they have a very large assorment of Aussie LPS or used to. I have not been in their store for 2 months..
Any way here is some shots Keeping them under MH 250 HQI with a very heavy fish Bio-load, I don't dose or bach this tank or any of my tanks I just do a 13 gallon water change every week As I have free RODI water from work. And I stock up when Kevin puts his salt on sale.;)

I've grown bored of my SPS and am seriously thinking of switching to an LPS/softy dominated tank. I am looking to other tanks that are in this category. If you have one please either post a pic or a link to your tank thread so I can check it out.

Thanks all!

PS: to those that haven't been in the hobby that long....this is what eventually happens...boredom and change...constantly.

Reed, I have a six (or eight) headed frogspawn in my frag tank you more than welcome to.

Also, the TOTM on the PSAS forum is a softy/LPS tank, quite pretty.

I'll look forward to see where you go with this, as you know, Ive been mulling over the same thought.

Last year at the Bob Moore swap, I parted with ten ORA green polyped toadstools. Id bet you could hunt down a frag of that fast grower pretty easily. Ive been temped lately to find one for myself. I miss that monster of a coral.

Hi Reed I don't have anything to trade but thought you would like some pictures. I kept my 150 tank a lps and Softie tank since i set it up Back in March of 04. I have a toadstool that i got about the size of a large marshmelow from Yellow Tang when i was setting up. That dude is 14" accross now! Most of my LPS was picked up from Upscales in portland they have a very large assorment of Aussie LPS or used to. I have not been in their store for 2 months..
Any way here is some shots Keeping them under MH 250 HQI with a very heavy fish Bio-load, I don't dose or bach this tank or any of my tanks I just do a 13 gallon water change every week As I have free RODI water from work. And I stock up when Kevin puts his salt on sale.;)
Great looking tank. Thanks for sharing with me. Water changes still seem to be the best way to maintain a healthy tank (not economic with really big tanks, but still better IMO). I still haven't been to upscales but I need to. Heard only good things.
I do.

Frogspawn, torch, elegance, flowerpot, and a huge yellow fiji leather (at least 16 inches across).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05

should give you an idea of what I have.

If you are in the neighborhood, you are welcome to stop by and see my tank.
I will have to find a time to swing by as you can't be far from me. Love to see it in person and pick your brain a little. Thanks for sharing and the offer.
One thing, I'm not into additives. Just water changes and skimming, lots of light.
Amen! Too many things to put into the tank with too little means to get the stuff out.
Reed, I have a six (or eight) headed frogspawn in my frag tank you more than welcome to.

Also, the TOTM on the PSAS forum is a softy/LPS tank, quite pretty.

I'll look forward to see where you go with this, as you know, Ive been mulling over the same thought.

Last year at the Bob Moore swap, I parted with ten ORA green polyped toadstools. Id bet you could hunt down a frag of that fast grower pretty easily. Ive been temped lately to find one for myself. I miss that monster of a coral.
Duane, you are too kind my friend. I would love to get the frogspawn from you but I have to find a way to pay you back. Maybe I can deposit some of my SPS in your frag tank and you can sell them. We can talk more. I was looking at the TOTM....nice tank. Wish we would see more of the softy tanks as tank of the month. Much more realistic to to the softy and let them grow in than the SPS. In the wild one SPS is far larger than most of our tanks. I'll have to do some checking on the toadstools. Love to get one.

Reedman,

You have an open invitation..just let me know.

I'm in Bothell off Hwy 527

Reed..... payback? Just a simple beer will do.

Its amazing...Reed lives closer to me than anyone I know and yet I see him less than anyone I know (maybe two minutes in the car). I guess thats what being devoted husbands and fathers gets us.

I'll make it a point to make it over before Christmas.

Last edited:
Reed..... payback? Just a simple beer will do.

Its amazing...Reed lives closer to me than anyone I know and yet I see him less than anyone I know (maybe two minutes in the car). I guess thats what being devoted husbands and fathers gets us.

I'll make it a point to make it over before Christmas.

Or I could actually stop by when I pass your house every couple of days...lol
It's all good my friend. We'll hookup at some point and I will definitely be glad to hand you a beer.

Or I could actually stop by when I pass your house every couple of days...lol

Thats exactly what I mean. I drive past your street every day. And sometimes, just to get a slurpy. Then I really feel like I should pay you a visit.:lol:

OK, it's official. I am going LPS/softy with a select few SPS. I have already started trading some of my SPS for softies and LPS and am loving the transformation.

For all those on this thread....thanks for the help and insight. If any of you have frags you want to swap/sell let me know. I am going to focus mainly on acans, blastos, a few gorgonians (maybe), and zoas. I will also have a hammer and frogspawn (can't do without them). We'll see how things progress. This might prove to be too much for one tank my size, but that is where I am headed right now. Very excited to see what develops.

Thanks again all. And keep posting pics.....love having inspiration!

I saw that and may act on it. I have (and am) traded SPS for softies/LPS. I now have a frogspawn courtesy of Duane (thank you!!!). I should have a hammer tonight and some acans this weekend. Very very excited to do this transformation.

Thanks for the heads up Mike! Appreciated.

Aww man, go all the way! I'm going to be tossing in some anthelia, colt or kenya, and a couple different types of xenia. My goal is no visible live rock. I want my tank to look like a map of the US. All the corals bordering each other and trying to grow over the top of one another.

OK, it's official. I am going LPS/softy with a select few SPS. I have already started trading some of my SPS for softies and LPS and am loving the transformation.

For all those on this thread....thanks for the help and insight. If any of you have frags you want to swap/sell let me know. I am going to focus mainly on acans, blastos, a few gorgonians (maybe), and zoas. I will also have a hammer and frogspawn (can't do without them). We'll see how things progress. This might prove to be too much for one tank my size, but that is where I am headed right now. Very excited to see what develops.

Thanks again all. And keep posting pics.....love having inspiration!

Corals with movement

Hey I agree that a mixed tank with more than just sps is much more interesting. After many years with a Berlin style sytem I have settled on a mixed tank and like the fact that there is movement not just from fish. Here is some pics of sections of my tank and will post new pics of my new project tank in midst of constuction soon.

Have fun with your new format but even more so important than sps livestock find out which corals do well next to each other or down current from one another.

Todd

My goal is no visible live rock. I want my tank to look like a map of the US. All the corals bordering each other and trying to grow over the top of one another.

That's what my goal was. No bare rock, no nusance algae:D

But you have to be careful. Some soft corals are a nusance themselves.
mushrooms, button polyps, kenya tree, etc.:lol:

Back