who has a softy/LPS dominant tank? looking for ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you have any recent photos? Everyone would love to see them.

That's what my goal was. No bare rock, no nusance algae:D

But you have to be careful. Some soft corals are a nusance themselves.
mushrooms, button polyps, kenya tree, etc.:lol:

heres my lps/softies with couple of sps tank....
lps,zoas/rics/shrooms for softies and sunset monti and setosa for sps....
just a clean simple look...

Hey I agree that a mixed tank with more than just sps is much more interesting. After many years with a Berlin style sytem I have settled on a mixed tank and like the fact that there is movement not just from fish. Here is some pics of sections of my tank and will post new pics of my new project tank in midst of constuction soon.

Have fun with your new format but even more so important than sps livestock find out which corals do well next to each other or down current from one another.

Todd
Todd, thanks for sharing. I would love some insight on the corals that do/don't do well next to each other and down current that you talk about. Please share your experience with us. Great looking tank....definitely another for my list of inspirational references.

heres my lps/softies with couple of sps tank....
lps,zoas/rics/shrooms for softies and sunset monti and setosa for sps....
just a clean simple look...
Luisse, I have admired your tank on your tank thread. This is a great looking tank and I really look forward to watching it mature over time. Thanks for joining this thread and sharing. I hope people keep posting. This is great to see all the people who DO keep LPS and softies.

Hey Reed, I thought I'd make myself feel sad inside and dig up some photo's of my old 120 gallon. It was a mixed LPS reef. I would love to get back to this look one day.

glorythree.png

glorydaystwo.jpg

oldglorydays.jpg

Hey Reed, I thought I'd make myself feel sad inside and dig up some photo's of my old 120 gallon. It was a mixed LPS reef. I would love to get back to this look one day.
That tank looks great! Too bad it's a memory instead of what you have now, but I am sure you can get back to that and better. Something to look forward to.

What kind of parameters do you all run? I have been doing SPS for so long I am used to Alk at 7-8 dKH, Ca around 400, PH at about 8. I would think I could let my Cal drift down a little, but I wanted to check with the resident experts.

Thanks for all the pics and info. This thread is really fun.

Most of us with softys own kits but can't remember how long since last used them...
In honor of the holidays, did a partial water change in mine:p

Most of us with softys own kits but can't remember how long since last used them...
In honor of the holidays, did a partial water change in mine:p

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can't remember where they are:lol::lol::lol:

I do regular water changes( IO), every 2 weeks without fail. Feed fairly light.
Big skimmer, and let the corals tell me how things are.

I will do my water change this weekend.
I may start a kalkwasser drip in my zoanthid tank, as the coraline is slow to grow.
I just started the tank back up recently and I used BRS eco rock and it still looks a little boring.
When I do, I'll have to test for all the usual.

OK, so you guys don't test a lot...I get that....and like it.

Next question: Feeding...what do you feed, how much, when (after light out, daylight, other). Do you target feed?

On a side note I am sooooooooo happy I switched to LPS/softy. Loving the movement and colors. This is fun!

Reed,

I feed my tank 3-4 times a day.

First feeding is PE Mysis
Second feeding is a Rod's Food
Third and fourth I mixed up a bit, but is either formula I angelfish or formula II algae.

when lights go out, I feed cyclopeeze.

I have 5-6 large dinner plate size RBTA and I have yet to target feed or manually feed them.

you are welcome to stop by and see the tank any time. my tank is strictly LPS/Fish.

Kirk

120 gallon - A few SPS, mostly zoas, blastos, yumas, other mushrooms, xenia, hammer, acans.....

4140552248_eb2daafda0_o.jpg

Jason, that is an impressive collection of zoas you have there. I know there are other corals in there, but I am still looking at the zoas. Saw your post last month selling frags...do you have frags on a regular basis or was that a one time sale? I would love to get some blasto and acan frags.

Jason, that is an impressive collection of zoas you have there. I know there are other corals in there, but I am still looking at the zoas. Saw your post last month selling frags...do you have frags on a regular basis or was that a one time sale? I would love to get some blasto and acan frags.

Sending a PM

I have now seen Mike's (Herefishyfishy) tank in person and all I can say is WOW!!! Man that is cool to see mature corals that look natural. Great job Mike and thanks for the frags! Off for some more visits/trades tomorrow. I am so inspired by you guys and your tanks. It's like finding an underground club just for softy/LPS keepers...lol.

Back