Who Makes Stands/Hoods?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NeuroDoc

Having recently started up a nano tank (24g aquapod), the bug has bitten and I am ready to upgrade to something bigger and let the aquapod be for seahorses (or even possibly just for QT).

Thanks to Eric at The Shark Reef I have been able to get a good deal on a 120g acrylic tank (with center back overflow). I am dedicated to doing this right (with refugium, Ca reactor, closed loop, etc.) the first time, so I will probably not be up and running with any stock in it until late this year.

First things first, my wife insists that the stand and hood be furniture grade; something she wouldn't be afraid to display in her living room. So I am looking for someone in the Puget Sound area (preferably over on my side of the water) who constructs such pieces. I am particularly interested in finding someone who can work with me on the style I want. I would be grateful for all referals anyone can provide.

I am supprised that Eric didn't refer you to Dave. Try Big Dave, he makes some real nice furnature and is over there by you.

I think Dave is the guy Eric has told me about. I want to see who else is around and get a look at their work before I make a decision.

Blazer88 said:
I thought there was a company on ebay that makes stands that are very affordable even with shipping. All you have to do is the finish work (stain/paint). I thought they looked of good construction/quality. *edit* Here is the link that I was thinking of.
http://cgi.ebay.com/75-90-Gallon-Oa...748977885QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had seen that before. I have a very specific style/design in mind, which leaves me looking for someone local. I may even try to build it myself, but that just means less money for the reef since I would need to buy some new tools (not necessarily a bad thing :) ).

I was in exactly the same position as you a few years ago when I set my tank up. The two people local I can recommend are Crows Ridge and Big Dave. Dave did my stand and canopy. The craftsmanship is excellent, it is sturdy, built exactly to my specs, aesthetic and well stained.

In fact when I measured the tank for him to begin construction, I mismeasured and we didn't figure it out until he had delivered the stand all the way to me (about 1 hr drive for him). He took it back to his shop, fixed the slight change and REDELIVERED it at no additional cost a few days later. Great guy, and I couldn't be happier.

Mat

Back