Who put this in my tank!!!(LOL)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Anyone have any idea what this thing is?? It just noticed it yesterday which is strange because it was on a rock that is out front which means I would have noticed it before so it must have just popped up there :confused: It was sort of anchored in a hole in my LR and I had to use a toothpick to pull it out. I didn't pop it or anything, but it looks like a green bubble...

it looks like green bubble algae, the largest single cell there is ive heard.

That's what I was thinking (bubble algae) but where the heck did it come from?? I haven't added anything new in my tank in months and there is only one of them! :eek:

What the heck is valonia now!!! :mad: I'll have to look that one up! Yeah, there is only one and I haven't added anything at all in my tank in months so what the heck!!!

Oh yeah...Clean out your pm box Josh:p

If you pop them yes... So don't pop it in your tank! When "popped" they release spores.

-Josh-:cool:

If you pop them yes... So don't pop it in your tank! When "popped" they release spores.

-Josh-

Cool...I didn't pop it so I should be good, but I still have no idea where the thing came from :confused:

The spores were in the live rock, or were brought in when you captured fish or when you went playing in the tide pools. You have a good skimmer, good husbandry, and phosban reactor. They shouldnt get out of hand.

Thanks Steve...I went looking all around the tank to see if I saw any more anywhere and didn't. Maybe I should take out all of the rock and look even closer to be sure:p

it starts with one then you have hundreds.....i've been fighting that battle for a year in my 55 gallon tank. they get huge as well on the undersides of the rock where you don't see them.

good luck! :)

You know being the professional at growing every kind of algae ever discovered, I think you can deal with it, just don't pop it:) Oh if you had one changes are good you will have more:( Keep & eye on your rocks!

Valonia goes in cycles just like all the rest of the algaes. They pop up when the environment is to their liking and die back when it isn't. You can have a completely sterile tank by cooking the rock or you can deal with some of the nuisances when they crop up and have a more "natural" looking tank.

A foxface lo will make short work of the valonia (at least it did in my tank) and it's also a good looking fish. Trying to remove them manually is futile. They will just spread. Scrubbing is a waste of time too. They only two options to be rid of them is to cook the rock or natural predation (neither is guaranteed to work).

Good luck bud...I'll trade you 3 majanos for a dozen valonias ;)

Thanks for the replies Matt, Scooter and Reed! I think you guys are the culprits who put them in my tank!:p(LOL) The only changes I can say that took place in my tank lately were the temperature swings for almost 2 weeks trying to get the heat issue sorted out and adding the MH's, but I'm not sure the 20K's caused anything. I will keep an eye out though...Algae doesn't have much of a chance in my tank though if they are looking for excess nutrients because there is hardly any in there. I keep a pretty clean tank. As for any hiding underneath my rocks, I don't see any there either unless it is where two rocks touch, but I can see the majority of the undersides of my rocks, but I will keep an eye out and keep you'll updated:)

Good luck bud...I'll trade you 3 majanos for a dozen valonias

ROFL! I'll give you all the valonias you need and still let you keep your majanos:p

Who put this in my tank!!!(LOL)

Wasn't me but if you need more I got lot's :D

Seriously though I have a bunch of these cool little bubbles and I'd sure like to know what can I buy to get rid of this nonsense. If one has crabs, the Emerald kind, do they pop open these little bubbles when they attempt to eat them ?? and if so is that defeating the purpose :?:

Back