Would like to try a couple of Millepora corals or other SPS. Advice?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a blue and purple Milli that are doing great under my 175W MH. I am using the Iwasaki 14K bulbs which actually have more par than some 250W bulbs! Although I do use 4 -T5 bulbs for actinics, not sure whether they help? The Millis are high in the 90 gallon tank, maybe 6" at the most from the surface of the water. They are growing, so this to me shows that they aren't merely surviving.

Disclaimer: This is my short time frame personal experience, the conditions of the coral might be able to be recreated. I am no expert and just offering this short time frame (months) experience that I have had.

Last edited:
do you have an article to support it, i just kinda want to see it for myself, that iwasaki 14k's have more bar the 250w bulbs, kinda want to know what 250w bulbs

I tried doing some very limited research (5 minutes using google) on it and I could find any. No I don't have any articles but I did hear Jeremy at PA say the same thing, as well as several people on RC. I will look a little more and see what I come up with. I can say they are a lot brighter (this is not scientific, I know) than the hamiltons that I used. In fairness though, they are a lot more white and not even near as blue.

i used kevinpo's link, the 175 iwasaki gives 86 ppfd while a 250 hamilton 14k gives only 69, my 14k 175w hamilton is only giving off 48... thinking i might be switching bulbs next time i replace in a year

I have used Hammy 14K before the switch, beware the Iwasaki's are not near as blue. I love these bulbs and will never switch. They are EXCELLENT bulbs! They are easily the most efficient, par per watt.

Kevin do you think they are good enough for the higher light SPS?

hmm, ya i kinda guessed that the iwasaki's aren't as blue, with actinics though i think iwasaki's would probably be an excellent choice, i like the color my hamilton 14k has standing alone

I've heard good things about the Phoenix 14k bulb. That they give off good par. What's the best bulb for a 150w DE?
What are some of the deeper water Acro's that might grow well and maintain their color? I have the Loripes Bottlebrush I bought from you Kevin. That's the coral I think it is, I am not sure. It's maintaining it's blue and teal color very well.
I actually need to change my MH bulb. It's starting to burn a bit yellow. What bulb would you recommend? Right now I have the 10k 150 w 2 65 watt pc's. The color is okay. I'd like something to bring out the Acro's beauty though. I don't think this bulb does. If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
i used kevinpo's link, the 175 iwasaki gives 86 ppfd while a 250 hamilton 14k gives only 69, my 14k 175w hamilton is only giving off 48... thinking i might be switching bulbs next time i replace in a year

sorry to bring the thread back :p...i'm running a 175 14k :eek:.

have you switched your bulbs yet dood?
i will replace my bulb by september and i have in mind the 10k xm.

I'm a girl. ;-) Haven't switched yet. How come you're switching to a 10k? I was actually going to go for the Pheonix 14k bulb.

because i got a rainbow monti that doesn't want to color up

Oh IC. =) I was wondering if I should try my 250 watt MH SE PFO pendant w/ a Luminarc Reflector, or a couple of T-5's for extra supp.if I want more colorful acros? Blues, pinks etc. I just purchased an Electric Pink Mille frag online. Was told if I placed it 3 in from the water surface it most likely will stay the color. I just needed to upgrad my bulb to a 14k. What do you think? I was thinking of the Phoenix 14k, but recently on RC read where it's Par Goes down to 75% after only running 3-4 months. That is kind of a bummer. I'd love some advice. Any other 14k bulbs that others like? I know Kevin runs 12k Reflux in his store. His lighting in there looks perfect. Not sure how it would look in my DE 150 unit though. Please let me know. TY. =)

Gina

Back