Your opinion on flow for my 125G

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hooked82

Well I was planning on using 2 modded MJ1200's but after many attempts to get these working correctly, I think I am throwing in the towel. The plan for those were to put one on each end of my tank pointed towards each other on a swirl-stein mod to create random flow hopefully throughout the whole tank. The tank is a 125 Gallon, 6' long.

So now my plan is to get a couple of Seio's and put them how the MJ's were going to go, on the Swirl mod. I'm trying to figure out which Seio's to get, either the 1500's or the 2600's. I plan on keeping softies, lps, zoa's and possibly an anenome. Which combo of the seio's will give me good throughout flow while not having high flow in all areas of the tank for some of the low-flow softies. Oh and my return is running at about 1000gph.

Also, I have read that the Seio's cannot be used on any wavemaker timer other than the one from Seio. Is this true, as I have an Aquadyne Octopus 3000 with wavemaker control that I might hookup if possible.

Any help would be great as I need to make a decision soon(cyano/slime algae starting to breakout).

i don't know what your budget is but i'd get the new nano instead of the seio's, although depending on which tunze the flow maybe stronger on the seios. i just put a nano in my 75 and it moves water around really well

I'm liking the higher flow of the seio's, plus I'm not looking to drop a ton of money on the tunze's. I don't mind there being powerheads in the tank either, just dont want more than 2 or so. Opinion will probably change in a year or so though.

I'm pretty sure your correct about not being able to use your wavemaker feature.

Don

i put a Seio 620 in my 125g a few weeks ago..it doesn't hardly cause a ripple in the water... i would go with the 2600's.. you can turn the flow down a bit on these.. there is a knob on the unit that can adjust it some

I have a 1500 and 2 620's in my 72. I almost think the 1500 is too much, i have turned it down, tried directing it different ways.... this thing moves some water! It might be just right for a 6' tank though.

what problems are you having with the mj mods?? I eneded up having to trim my impeller on 1 of 2 I have and it's worked perfectly ever since. Thats been quite a few months back. I have the 2 mj mods 1200's on my 120g sps tank and they have a small wave that goes back and forth..

Wow, didnt get a single email telling me I had responses, heh.
DonW: Yeah I figured, I will probably just go full-time with them and like ronJ said, I should be able to tone them down a little if needed.

ronJ: Thanks for that info. I will probably go with the 2600's as thats what I have been suggested by a few people and by Wil at Reef Mystique.

SueT: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20806
I explain almost all the problems I'm having with them. 1 of the mods will almost never turn the right direction and the other will run right then every minute or two run the other direction and bounce off the stopped for about 10 seconds before going the right direction.

Thanks for the insight everybody, would love to hear everybody else's thoughts, thanks.

sounds to me like these mods do not work very well, i was considering buying one for my mj900 but i guess i'm just going to bite the bullet and get another nano. is anyone else having the same problems with the modded mj's? and is anyone having success?

i tried a mj900 mod..mine would work out of the water , but as soon as it was put underwater, it stopped..i made adjustments to it..i never got it working.. i trashed the entire thing and bought a Seio

I explain almost all the problems I'm having with them. 1 of the mods will almost never turn the right direction and the other will run right then every minute or two run the other direction and bounce off the stopped for about 10 seconds before going the right direction.

Thanks for the insight everybody, would love to hear everybody else's thoughts,

I built Sue's modds for her. What I found was that if they don't have enough inlet holes in the housing it starves the prop for water and will cause the prop to cavitate. I made Sue's look like cheese clothe and now you can throw a surfboard in her tank and hang ten. If your running the Dumas 3004 prop or equivelent you may need to trim the prop a bit. www.mjmodds.com makes a really nice housing kit, very clean looking for $16.99. They also sell props for the 1200 for a medium flow if you don't want 2000gph. I think it cuts it down to around 1600gph. Much cheaper than seio's or tunze. They also have magnet holder for them with a swivel ball so you can direct the flow anyway you want.

You can try adding more holes and or trimming the props if you want to keep what you have. After you do a couple their easy. I can mod one in about 10 minutes. I use 2 mj 400s in my 70g. sps tank right now. Of course pretty much everything are frags or small colonies.

I bought the complete hi flow kits from MJMods.com, with the large shrouds, as I just dont have the time for another DIY project. I know the mods are a diy, but it would be a longer project if I would have had to do the whole mod. I have tried trimming the prop, maybe I will do it a little bit more. I would still like to get a couple seio's so if I can get them running at least, it will hold me off until I can put an order in.

As far as the Seio's I think I will get the 2600's. ronJ, do you know how much you can tweak the flow? Probably not a whole lot but maybe just enough.

I bought the complete hi flow kits from MJMods.com, with the large shrouds, as I just dont have the time for another DIY project. I know the mods are a diy, but it would be a longer project if I would have had to do the whole mod. I have tried trimming the prop, maybe I will do it a little bit more. I would still like to get a couple seio's so if I can get them running at least, it will hold me off until I can put an order in.

As far as the Seio's I think I will get the 2600's. ronJ, do you know how much you can tweak the flow? Probably not a whole lot but maybe just enough.

Are the Maxi jets new also? Also are you running them on a wavemaker/timer?

No they aren't new and just running them normal. But, I guess I gave up on the sanding about 10 seconds to soon. I took them back out to the belt sander and sanded each for about another 10 seconds and they are running fine so far. Lets hope they stay that way. I will more than likely get some seio's here in a bit but getting these working is going to give me more money to get other things that I am really needing on this tank. Thanks ReeferPat for the shove towards getting them runnin :D

I would still like some more thought on the seio's though, thanks guys. Gotta love this place :cool:

Back