1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

well, I know whose house I can go to cool off in when it gets 90 degrees again this summer.

:)

Most people use something smaller to cycle a new tank, but I guess with a large tank ...

Last edited:
After much thought, I have decided to refrain from commenting on those photos...

Glad its holding water for you. That would have been the last thing you needed this weekend.

After much thought, I have decided not to comment on the fact that I had offered you BBQ, BEER, and a high end SPS frag to come out and help, and you never called me back. :)

Last edited:
Brett,

Can you comment on the quality and craftsmanship of your tank?

Thanks
Kirk

The trim was broken in one corner of the tank. The type of trim used is very soft and flimsy, but also not a structural support. Only really for ascetics.

Almost every hole drilled was chipped all the way around, on the dry side. Wet side was smooth. The holes are ALL located in the places I ask so thats good.

There were around 3-4 half chips in the bracing up top. No chips on any corners of the tank.

The silicone is riddled with small air pockets and bubbles. The silicone wasn't all that clean but not super messy nor was there any silicone smeared anywhere way off, like on the side of the tank as other have experienced with other manufacturers. I had specifically requested black silicone be used. Clear was used.

The versa tops arrived broken.

I had requested the internal parts of the overflow be plumbed as they would be difficult to do after the tank was completed. The box was not plumbed.

I did not receive the baffles for the sump.

The sump was built using all the same materials. Everything is OK on the sump construction besides there is alot of air pockets in the silicone.

I would rate the tank overall at most maybe a 6 and the sump a 9 out of 10.

How long do you plan on testing the tank with water in it, before you start adding live rock, etc.??

well every fitting was leaking, so I drained the tank. I should have it back up and filled this week. I'll watch it for two weeks and add the salt and rock. All my rock is already fully cycled and there is even a couple special fish in with the LR waiting for their new home.

I'd say will be up and running entirely in about one month.

Well glad to hear that everything is kinda moving along, i cant wait to see what it is gonna look like.

Hey Brett, for a 1000g tank, you might want to spend the money and get some decent bulkheads. The ones you picked up are junk, and are very easy to crack. I can break them by hand tightening them. Take a look at some of these, they are more expensive, but I think that since you bought yourself a 1000g tank you are not trying to pinch pennies.

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2&ptid=5&pid=28

Brett,

I agree with Tom. This are the only type of bulkheads you should be using in a tank of this size. I have them in my thank and it is a small 375 gallon. :D

Back