1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm really sad to hear that the ray didn't make it. THis hobby does take quite a toll on livestock via the shipping process...:cry:

I'm really sad to hear that the ray didn't make it. THis hobby does take quite a toll on livestock via the shipping process...:cry:

Yeah I was quite disappointed. I had about 10 people over last night to show off the shark and the ray pretty much died in front of us. Then I had to ask a buddy to hold the top up while I got him out. Talk about a buzz kill.:(

Umm about the right size or frying :D

LOL naw that must be a real sight to see!

Yeah, Im picking up a digital camcorder today so I can take some video shots.

Nice shark Brett! :)

Thanks bro!:)

I am keeping my eyes WIDE OPEN for the following:

Blue spotted sting ray
HEALTHY FAT moorish idols
Smoothhound shark
Large gold flake angel
HAWAIIAN or JAPANESE DRAGON MORAY.....;)
Sapo puffer
Achillies/Goldrim Hybrid tang
Emporer angel (adult)
Queen angel (adult)

Wow that shark looks bigger than 18"! Can you take a fts of your tank with your new additions. I like the fish list but I would stay clear of the moorish idols...:D

Hey, weird question. What do you do with a foot long dead ray body? I don't think its flushable... I could be wrong though.

Is that supposed to be a joke? :confused: I don't think its too funny that I have a innocent dead ray and I'm out 200 bucks. If I am taking your question out of context and your honestly wondering, compost pile is where he went.

Hey, weird question. What do you do with a foot long dead ray body? I don't think its flushable... I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Honestly wondering. I have a foot long emperor that I have no idea what I would do with.... anyway I am scared so I am gonna go away. Sorry for your loss.

Brett, I'm truly sorry for your loss!! That really sucks. I hope whatever Ray you decide to replace it with acclimates better. The shark looks amazing!! Can't wait to see it in person. So there's a Home Depot going up near you? Haven't heard anything about that from our company. Could be that we either didn't bid on it or didn't get the bid...lol.

Honestly wondering. I have a foot long emperor that I have no idea what I would do with.... anyway I am scared so I am gonna go away. Sorry for your loss.

Yeah man, its tuff. Diggin a hole crossed my mind. Too bad on the emporer, those are sweet fish!

Brett, I'm truly sorry for your loss!! That really sucks. I hope whatever Ray you decide to replace it with acclimates better. The shark looks amazing!! Can't wait to see it in person. So there's a Home Depot going up near you? Haven't heard anything about that from our company. Could be that we either didn't bid on it or didn't get the bid...lol.

Yeah an HD and kohl's right behind 171st and meridian.

I think I may try the blue spotted next time.

Chend2 and Brett,

Fish are an excellent source of organic fertilizer. When I lost an emperor angel several years ago, I dug a spot for it under my rose bush. My rose blooms that year were awesome.

Kirk

Arn't bat rays cooler water rays? Maybe a more tropical ray would be happier?

I like the bat rays though they have a very manta style body. Speaking of which :)

BCT--
Bat rats are really cool Sorry to hear that.

As a Southern California fisherman I caught many of these. Please dont take what I have to say in malice, it is said in good will for the memory of the ray.

The crushing plates of the bat ray are a prized thing among "Bat Ray" fisherman.

That said, The plates are really neat and obviously located in the jaw area. If you are willing to cut them out and bleach them, I think that you would have a life long treasure and conversation piece(s).

I only post this because I have a box of ashes of my late dog and in a similar way the crushing plates would give you a way to make the ray live on and show others how they eat and work.

Chad

Sorry about the ray loss but that will be a drop in the bucket when that Black tip starts to kill. It will kill for fun not food so do not think feeding it more will help. At 4 to 5 years old they reach the point when they start killing. It also might be the because they are at the time when they reach maturity or it may have to do with boredom in captivity or both.
Most public aquariums replace them at that age do to the massive amount of live stock they kill when housed with smaller fish. Ask the Seattle Aquarium about the pair that they had in 2005 they stocked 800 fish in the spring and had 200 or so by the end of the summer that year. They were well feed and not fully eating what they killed.
You just might to keep it by itself when it gets to that point it may or may not happen sooner in your tank. Just passing on my experience with them in captivity.
Good luck,
David

Back