1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

all I can say is WOW its amazing. I haven't really added anything into this thread cuse its way way way out of my league but it looks amazing. i can't wait to see the finished set up with everything in it.

I wanted to ask with the ray and the shark what else can you put in there anyway?

also how big is the shark

oh and did I like many other people on here HATE YOU lol j/k

Looks great

oh and did I like many other people on here HATE YOU lol j/k

HUH? I don't get it? Are you reminding me that their are alot of people on here that hate me?:confused:

Either way, thanks for the complements on the tank. :)

Brett,

I'm guessing here..but HATE as in Jealous..(I'm not one of them; I say more power to ya bro!!)

Just where the chain metal when you feed the sharks :D:D

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like you won the get finished first contest.. :) When do you get the ray and blacktip? would love to see those guys..

The black tip is 17-18" long, and the bat ray has a wing span of around 16". I will me seeing them mid-day on Sunday.

thats what I ment lol the biggest I can have in my place is a little 25 gal nano that has been nothing but problems lol. I am VERY and I mean VERY jealous of your tank I have wanted a shark tank for years just don't have the room or the time or hte funds lol but I am working with what I have lol.

I am just wondering if you ever thought about starting one form an egg or not

Once again very well done I LOVE IT

How long will a black tip get ??

Looks Awesome so far can,t wait to see it with the fish !!!

:)

Paul

I think the black tip gets 3 feet. It will get way too big for a 1000 gallon tank. When I volunteered at the Seattle Aquarium I was talking to one of the biologists and they said that their 2 black tips were getting too big for their 24,000 gallon tank.

I'd had a feeling I would need address this, and would prefer to do so now rather than after its become a flame session...

There are many different opinions on what can or cannot be done when it comes to reef keeping or the hobby of keeping fish. We have all seen powder blue tangs kept in 50 gallon tanks and while some people argue that a 150 is more suitable, I had once read they can cover something like 40 square miles in a lifetime. Some people are eager to keep a fish of that nature in their 50 gallon tank, but quick to attack someone who has spent months upon months of research and planning and thousands of dollars to offer the finest environment he or she is capable of providing.

I think anyone who knows something about the hobby knows that every fish is better off left in the ocean. We can keep a fish alive and thriving for its lifetime. We cannot offer the swimming space, variety of food and filtration that nature offers.

While this is reef frontiers and primarily a reef tank site, mine tank is not. I still have many friends here and wanted to share my journey. I'd like to keep this thread positive and on track. I've seen a few honest and caring guys get slaughtered for attempting to keep these animals. When in fact there are highly respected members of reef frontiers right in our own back yard successfully kept these animals in captivity. Eric at the shark reef is an example of a fine idividual who has kindly and sucessfully kept black tip reefsharks.

Anyways, I was not insinuating that anyone was sending a negative vibe my way, but I wanted to state how I feel so that anyone who questions my motives will know my intentions before things got nasty.

Thanks
Brett

Brett, great post. In following this thread since the beginning, I've been very impressed by the amount of research you've put into all of this and things you've done to overcome some issues. Once example is the water current pattern you created that allows for an "upstream" and "coasting" swim that will hypothetically give more swim space that the tank actually allows. This and other things you've done will go along way towards offering your inhabitants a healthy habitat!! I'll keep following and can't wait to get back into the area and see the beast tank again. Haven't seen it since the day it was delivered and from pics, a lot's changed since then!! Great job!!!

Brett, great post. In following this thread since the beginning, I've been very impressed by the amount of research you've put into all of this and things you've done to overcome some issues. Once example is the water current pattern you created that allows for an "upstream" and "coasting" swim that will hypothetically give more swim space that the tank actually allows. This and other things you've done will go along way towards offering your inhabitants a healthy habitat!! I'll keep following and can't wait to get back into the area and see the beast tank again. Haven't seen it since the day it was delivered and from pics, a lot's changed since then!! Great job!!!

Yeah man, I know your job takes you all over the place and I hear they may be building about a block from my house. Anytime your in the area and wanna swing on by your more than welcome to!

DSC_0141.jpg

I picked up my shipment yesterday at 2pm and was very impressed. The fish were expertly packaged and where doing well when I opened the box. I acclimated them very slowly as the temp had dropped roughly 7 degrees in each bag and the PH had dropped to 6.6 on both the shark, and ray boxes.

When it was finally time oh what a event adding them to the tank it was. The bat ray didn't seem to be adapting well and by 11pm was dead.

The BTR's body was in excellent shape and was doing great, upon adding him to the tank there were some issues and when I finally free'd him he kinda sank to the bottom of the tank. I immediately grabbed him and gave him one push start and thats all it took. Within a couple hours he had established a swim pattern and even had some shrimp for dinner. He seems to be doing great!

Back