1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I have wanted to do this for years, and finally am in a place where I can. I have started my in-wall aquarium.

I have had a list of things to complete and a budget to stick to so I am taking things very slowly and my intention is not having to do any upgrades, and avoid any re-do's.

I have decided to place this tank in the garage, and knock a hole in my kitchen wall so it can be viewed from both sides.

Size? Going for the max, while still being able to park my cars inside. 130"x60"30" which works out to 1,013 gallons. This tank is being built with an external overflow that makes it an additional 5.5" long.

For flow I will be using seaquence 7400gph power series pumps. One on a closed loop and one on a return from my sumps.

For sumps, I am linking three 100 gallon rubbermaid commercial use stock tanks. One will house chateo and other micro algaes for nutrient export. One will house my skimmer, and one will be strictly water and possible live rock for additional biological filtration as well as a bubble defuser.

Lighting will be simple. three 36" dual tube shop lights. One 10k, one actinc,

I am picking up 600lbs of sand so that I have around a 1" sand bed.

My livestock list may include:

Some sort of shark (black tip reef shark or bonnethead)
large tang (naso or show size achillies)
an eel (Dragon or banana)
possibly a large angel. (Queen or Emperor)
ray (blue spotted or cortez)

this job has already proven to be difficult without the luxury of a pickup truck.

DSC_0575.jpg

Last edited:
I plan on linking all three rubbermaid containers together in series. This will avoid the need for baffels.

DSC_0582.jpg

I kinda ripped off salsakings design here, sorry Eric. I am closely following his design stand for my tank as well. (this picture is of his)

I have a buddy who's welding up mine with 3"x2" square piping and the stand will include mounting plates so that if I choose, I can rotor-hammer it to the floor.

stand.jpg

My plan with this tank is not to create "flow" as people think of in a SPS tank. I am trying to create current. For a shark that must swim continuously, I am trying to make the tank feel larger by almost giving it a cyclone effect inside.

tank-1.jpg

The expected delievery date of the tank is March 21st. I could use all the people I can get to slide this tank off the pallet and onto the stand.

That's gonna be awesome! I think that skimmer is WAY overkill for your new system. :lol: JK

:) The skimmer will only be the tip of the iceberg for filtration, filtersocks and mirco algeas too.

Some people buy Yachts some huge reef tanks....some both :lol: :D. I'll just watch :p .

You probably be suprised. I'm having this tank built for probably 1/3rd the price you'd be thinking. I'd say its more like a aquarium, or inflateable raft.:lol:

Good luck man!!! Looks like fun!!! :D

Thanks man, Im trying to make the setup a hobby in itself

You've got to be kidding! THAT's GINORMIOUS!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!:)

Oh Brett - you know i wont miss this! Let me know when it gets in...

I'll make sure to have some foster keg cans buddy. Cant drink them till after the tanks moved though.... *CRASH*

omg !!! that's gonna be one awesome tank !! :) .

Thanks Gabby

Is this a glass tank ?
Does the delivery truck have a crane arm attached to it ?

it is. The delievery truck is dropping it at my wifes work, they have a fork lift and a 2-1/2 ton chevy with a lift gate and a boom.

What do you mean *CRASH* I'm not the one that breaks things at your house... I only help you fix it after the fact!

What do you mean *CRASH* I'm not the one that breaks things at your house... I only help you fix it after the fact!

you got that right. What a mess that was. Hopefully I'll never get so drunk I drive the subie into the tank.

Back