140 gallon Coldwater build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nice job paul glad to see this tank being used
I need to come up and check it out one of these days

Thanks! Your totally invited to come out and see it in it's current state. And this time we won't have to lift it up the stairs. Just look lol.

Hey there just an update on the tank I received a beautiful red Irish lord with the most unique coloring. I've been trying to get a clean pic of him but I'm reduced to a grainy pic I took as soon as he was released. I also got some orange and white metridium anemones, some corynctis hidden on the backside of the shell and a field of aggregating anemones:) here's a pic of the red Irish lord.
IMG_3661_zpsdf6ffe4e.jpg

I thought you'd like the bonuses on that shipment ;)

Here's the link to some of the video I took of that Irish lord from our facebook page, it shows him off pretty well :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=520700537981444&set=vb.254401994611301&type=3&theater

You guys hooked me up:) everything is looking great! I figure the Irish lord is acclimating still. I see him out more but my crappy iPhone camera has a hard time getting a pic of him. The corynactis are coloring in and the orange metridium is splitting already. Btw the other morning I retrieved that beautiful corynactis colony ,that I got from you at the bob Moore, from the mouth of one the painted nems mouth. Those guys are monsters they are super aggressive carnivores. Every morning it's seems like I need to check to make sure they are not munching on something. They ate a green surf and a stubby rose in the last month. It's the same stubby rose I saved a couple months ago. Message to other nems in the tank. "If you wander you will be eaten!" lol. It's been a couple days and the corynactis is looking better. I also put in a aquaclear 90 power head with the attachable filter and it has really decreased some of the free floating debris from all the feedings. And the water is looking clear again and with good flow.

Last edited:
Today I performed a 35 gallon water change, scrubbed some algae off the rock wall and was felling pretty happy about it. And before the water could settle my keyhole limpets spawned and clouded up the whole tank:-/ Well at least the last time they produced some more cleanup crew members and feed the filter feeders for a few days. The tank is doing great. But I haven't seen the red Irish lord since my last post. It doesnt mean he isn't there I just haven't seen him. Otherwise all is running good. Im thinking of adding another colormax T5ho bulb. And pull the two smaller ones but we shall see.

PS I'd of never thought a Coldwater thread would have hit 4000 views when I first started it:)

Last edited:
Just wanted to update due to new lighting and some mussels and macro algae I harvested yesterday. So here is a new Video. all the nems are growing and looking healthy.

So very cool. I love those fish.
You have a lot more nems than the last time I saw the tank.
Your running out of room! lol!

Lol I haven't added any in awhile. They are just growing a bunch. I've been feeding just enough to keep them where they are at. And I switched to feeding them salmon which they seem to enjoy and has improved coloring.

Today is a sad day:( I woke up to find the cresent gunnel lying on the linoleum floor. He was a favorite fish of mine. He was always interested in what I was doing and constantly watched me. He was a unique color with a beautiful orange belly. Sad to see him go.
IMG_9958_zps512477e9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
But today I am performing a water change and getting the system ready for new critters. I'm heading down to oregon for the spring tides and gonna collect with the guys from coldwater marine aquatics. This tank has been on autopilot requiring 35 gallon water changes every 4-6 weeks and media replacement. Ive been trying to feed the nems less to keep their size under control too. It is such a fun tank to watch but will seem a bit more empty now that the gunnel is gone. Often times his piscatorial adventures were the only ones out in the open.:rip:

Thats a bummer :(

We will find you another one when you come down :) I think we will be hitting up the Newport / Florence areas.

Saturday night we were out and saw full grown Monkey Face Pricklebacks hiding in the rocks. Couldnt get em to come out but their heads were the size of my fist, pretty cool to see :)

Today is a sad day:( I woke up to find the cresent gunnel lying on the linoleum floor. He was a favorite fish of mine. He was always interested in what I was doing and constantly watched me. He was a unique color with a beautiful orange belly. Sad to see him go. :rip:

Awww, poor little guy. He was my favorite too.

Your my boy blue! Lol
Ahhhh keep ur head up man. Tank looks good from my tiny cell phone screen.
Cold or warm don't matter to me :)
One of these days we need to set up one at my house!
Wat could I do with a 1/15hp lol???
-d

Thats a bummer :(

We will find you another one when you come down :) I think we will be hitting up the Newport / Florence areas.

Saturday night we were out and saw full grown Monkey Face Pricklebacks hiding in the rocks. Couldnt get em to come out but their heads were the size of my fist, pretty cool to see :)
Stu that sounds like a plan! My vacation is approved so I'm down with that!! I can't wait to see some new spots in the Newport area. Devils punchbowl was fun but wasn't real diverse.

Devin you your post reminded me of the inspiring words of Dr Coldfinger King Jr. When he said "I have a dream! I have a dream that all reef would be equal! That a reef is judged not by the temperature of it's water, but of the quality of it's parameters!" lol

Actually devin that 1/15 would be awesome with an Aqueon 8 cube. Your Coldwater future is near:)

Stu that sounds like a plan! My vacation is approved so I'm down with that!! I can't wait to see some new spots in the Newport area. Devils punchbowl was fun but wasn't real diverse.
The puchbowl is one of those cost vs benefit places, I think it could cost you more than it would benefit you to go down there. Once I nail down an itinerary for that weekend I will let give you full heads up. We had talked about camping, but thats what everyone will be doing that weekend, so we will likely stay in a hotel that has A/C since its a multiple day outing.

Devin you your post reminded me of the inspiring words of Dr Coldfinger King Jr. When he said "I have a dream! I have a dream that all reef would be equal! That a reef is judged not by the temperature of it's water, but of the quality of it's parameters!" lol
This will be quoted in my coldwater memoirs for sure ;)

Actually devin that 1/15 would be awesome with an Aqueon 8 cube. Your Coldwater future is near:)
SO IT HAS BEEN SPOKEN! SO IT SHALL BE DONE! Let me know anyway I can help out! If you can get him up and running before you come down this way you can collect him some starter animals to get his tank going and maybe hook him up with 8 gallons of cycled water from your system to speed up the process :D

Who wants a video update?? I do I do !! This was taken during feeding time. Notice the new addition, Three stalks of bull kelp:)

Yes please! I actually haven't seen the lord since the first couple days. So I fear the worst. The post office held him in Everett for 24 hours (just 20 min away) so I think it was stressed. Anyway I like the Irish lords. The redder the better:)

Back