140 gallon Coldwater build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Speaking of eating I woke up to see one of my stubby rose's on the move and grabbed by a green surf nem. So I plunged my hand in 54degree degree water... That'll wake ya up! I placed the stubby in a good spot and went to grab my coffee. I came back to check and it had floated directly into the grasp of a yellow painted and was being forced rapidly into the mouth of the painted a tug of war ensued with me initially losing the battle. I've been stung by these guys plenty by now and they are sticky but it's way stickier when they are trying hard to feed. I actually still feel the remnants of the stings. Barely at all but something for me to note. The funny thing was they were the same size!

I saved it, for now that is. He was hooked so tight that the rock (granite and larger than a softball) that the other nem was attached to was picked right up and the nem held tight. So I imagine he was stung pretty bad. I know it was worse than my old haddoni. By the time I left the house he was opening but still didn't look right. I will prolly update when I get back. My daughter and I are at the Seattle aquarium doing "research". But now she is begging for a painted greenling lol. It was fun listening to her tell the other kids about the different anemones. :)

Here is a pick of my favorite nem. The thing is it is front and center and sticky as all get out.
IMG_6684.jpg

Thats a nice looking one!! Shoot me a PM about where you collected him!

I'm heading south to Newport today to go collecting but I'll be doing trips to the north Oregon coast soon also.

Cool! I want to hit the minus tide Halloween night:) But if I get my daughter, I'll be trick or treating. I'm heading to Newport as part of a family vacation and am trying to have it land smack dab on that big minus tide in mid November. On that trip I won't be camping:)

So I got back tonight and both nems looked a little smaller but the yellow painted ate like a hog. Good sign and the stubby rose ate gingerly but ate. Normally it devours food quickly. But eating is good and I feel a bit relieved. I still have a hunch I'm not feeding enough which is crazy. I feed chunks twice the size of the chunks I feed to my huge BTA's. And that's every other day. Along with every other day being feed marine snow once to twice a day and an additional half cube of mysis.

Cool! I want to hit the minus tide Halloween night:) But if I get my daughter, I'll be trick or treating. I'm heading to Newport as part of a family vacation and am trying to have it land smack dab on that big minus tide in mid November. On that trip I won't be camping:)

Let me know where you are gonna be headed near Newport, my birthday is in November and I always take a trip to the coast :) I was also planning around the minus tide then.

Last year on the minus tide on Halloween weekend is when I caught my first baby Giant Pacific Octopus by hand :D

I will definately let you know Stu. Looks like there are a couple nice areas to take a look at. Yaquina head is out (natural area) but devils punchbowl north to whales cove looks pretty sweet. I can't wait :)

Well I hit a snag in my filtration and should have seen it coming to be honest. I noticed a saltwater smell but like stagnant water smell. And started to investigate and noticed a large puddle under the table that I put the 404 on. It was dripping condensation due to sweating. I should have known I needed to insulate the body and hoses. and it was blowing air bubbles into the display. Tons of them. So back to the drawing board. I think I may need to get new hoses. Because there may be some kind air leak in the hose or one of the connections. Otherwise it won't be worth it to insulate it.

That would be good to know how big they are. They are 3-5" across the oral disk. They one in the center is about 5" across. And are very solid, they don't seem like bags of water at all. And the rock is bigger than a softball or same size as a shot put and just as heavy:) That lined chiton is about an inch and a quarter. I have 3,one was a hitchhiker and smaller than my pinkie nail. And as I was trying to see where all my corynactis went. (tiny pink nems that were the size of the head of a pin) I saw a 1/2" nudibranchs called a sea mouse. The corynactis were eaten and probably by him. Which is a bummer because I haven't found them collecting. And bought them from Coldwater marine. I really wanted them to take over.

I will definately let you know Stu. Looks like there are a couple nice areas to take a look at. Yaquina head is out (natural area) but devils punchbowl north to whales cove looks pretty sweet. I can't wait :)
Watch yourself in the puchbowl, theres a reason they call it Devils Punchbowl :help:
If we are there at the same time I'll take you to some of my secret spots, just dont tell everyone ;)

Well I hit a snag in my filtration and should have seen it coming to be honest. I noticed a saltwater smell but like stagnant water smell. And started to investigate and noticed a large puddle under the table that I put the 404 on. It was dripping condensation due to sweating. I should have known I needed to insulate the body and hoses. and it was blowing air bubbles into the display. Tons of them. So back to the drawing board. I think I may need to get new hoses. Because there may be some kind air leak in the hose or one of the connections. Otherwise it won't be worth it to insulate it.

Try and go with an internal filter, it may not be the most aesthetic thing, but completely eliminates any condensation issues.

That would be good to know how big they are. They are 3-5" across the oral disk. They one in the center is about 5" across. And are very solid, they don't seem like bags of water at all. And the rock is bigger than a softball or same size as a shot put and just as heavy:) That lined chiton is about an inch and a quarter. I have 3,one was a hitchhiker and smaller than my pinkie nail. And as I was trying to see where all my corynactis went. (tiny pink nems that were the size of the head of a pin) I saw a 1/2" nudibranchs called a sea mouse. The corynactis were eaten and probably by him. Which is a bummer because I haven't found them collecting. And bought them from Coldwater marine. I really wanted them to take over.

Those damn nudibranchs.

I give everything I collect a good heavy rinse in the ocean just for that reason, I've had the Opalescent Nudibranchs mow down on corynactis before also. Hit me up once you are sure the nudi's have starved out and I'll hook you back up with Corynactis :D

As an old surfer I read waves and trouble spots well. but was thinking whales cove. It has a point and an exposed rocky shore and a protected cove if conditions are bad. Nawwww not in December:p

Ecola state park. They were buried in a bunch of wrack and bull kelp that had blown ashore. And there was way more. They have eaten all my yellow sponges and purple sponges. But they've left alone the little red and orange sponges that I have. They are definately eye catchers:) I love em. And I have 4 which may be too many but they all look healthy.

Back