140 gallon Coldwater build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just came back from a 3 day camping trip on the oregon coast yesterday. And yep I did some collecting. I went to a couple of the state parks in the cannon beach area and found some more stuff. The tank definately doesn't look so empty anymore. I am working on getting some sweet pics to update this thread. So if there are any volunteers that have a nice camera who want to help I would be honored. I've been working with my iPhone but no matter how I adjust the pic I can't get the color right. I didn't get any fish partly because I didn't have a means to keep them alive as easy. I had a battery operated air pump but didn't like the cramped quarters. And I'm wanting to go through coldwater marine for the fish. They get good ones that are hard to get by collecting. One shrimp is riding on the back of a bloodstar picking parasites or something for food. I turned down the water temp and now it sits between 54-56 degrees. And let me tell you when I reach in the tank to move stuff around its hard to keep my hand in there long enough lol!

darn, I was thinkin on asking you if I could tag along thinkin you were going for the day....but 3 days camping I would have def asked! sry I missed!

Kevin I'll let you know next time. I think camping is the way to do it. Such a beautiful escape and I was able to take my time. And collecting at night on the coast... Yeah would have been good for someone to have my back. So I'll let ya know. Might be mid nov or late oct.

It is illegal anywhere in Washington state to take unclassified inverts and fish. In Oregon with a valid fishing/shellfish license there are small bag limits but you are able to collect there. I hope someday Washington allows for a hobbiest license of some kind. In California there is a specific hobbiest license. They call it something else and it is expensive but they have it. The reason why I started this tank and thread is to show that there are viable ways to stock and maintain these temperate tanks. The reason I collected at night is because that was when the lowtides were.

I figured but it is something that has come up before and it was a good opportunity to put the word out.

I can't stand it. I want to wait till I get everything settled in to where they wanna be but here is a teaser.
IMG_0884.jpg

Hey Paul, your Cold Water Creation is really coming together nicely. I'll give you a call tomorrow/Monday to set up a good time to do a lil photography on it.

Cheers, Todd

One of the green surf anemones finally let go of the rock they were both growing on so here they are with the twilight lighting.
IMG_0518.jpg

One of my Green surf anemones disapeared yesterday and now matter where I looked I saw zero sign of it. Until this morning and it popped up like nothing happened. Ive been working on a large update and should have it out soon. All the nems are adjusting well and looking real good. All of them are opened up now and sorting out their positions there is one rock, the size of a baseball with 5 different species of nems. And my sitka shrimp they... well the nems thought they were tasty! lol including the largest.

One of my Green surf anemones disapeared yesterday and now matter where I looked I saw zero sign of it. Until this morning and it popped up like nothing happened. Ive been working on a large update and should have it out soon. All the nems are adjusting well and looking real good. All of them are opened up now and sorting out their positions there is one rock, the size of a baseball with 5 different species of nems. And my sitka shrimp they... well the nems thought they were tasty! lol including the largest.

If you wanna do shrimp in with that many anemones try going with a bigger species like the Pacific Spot Prawns, or Coonstripe Shrimp. I've kept a bunch of those with my anemones.

if all else fails at least these shrimp can be eaten.

wife- what happened to billy I dont see him anywhere?
Paul- honey did you like dinner?
wife-:eek:
Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
I actually went to central market to buy some but they were out. But that's right I would toally eat them and if the oyster doesnt watch it he's gonna have a garlic butter bath and a pepperjack towel lol

Last edited:
Here is a pick of my favorite nem. The thing is it is front and center and sticky as all get out.
IMG_6684.jpg

Back