180 gallon dual octogon AGA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just got a perfect shot of my reef and my mandarin dragonette! (a small portion of it actually)

DSCN4977.jpg

Things are filling up in there! Didn't realize you had so many corals! Looks good! Also, I like what you did to eliminate the waterfall. :)

Things are filling up in there! Didn't realize you had so many corals! Looks good! Also, I like what you did to eliminate the waterfall. :)

Yea I do have a few corals don't I?;)
I keep getting more too, but I'm making some difficult decisions, and getting rid of some of the larger things that don't satisfy my eyes quite as much anymore.

Yea I do have a few corals don't I?;)
I keep getting more too, but I'm making some difficult decisions, and getting rid of some of the larger things that don't satisfy my eyes quite as much anymore.

You just need a bigger tank!! :D Do you notice you have to adjust your calcium and alk much with the additions or do you run reactors that do all the work for you??

You just need a bigger tank!! :D Do you notice you have to adjust your calcium and alk much with the additions or do you run reactors that do all the work for you??

Neither actually. I work miracles instead!:loco:
I have never dosed cal, mag or alk to keep it in line, I just do frequent water changes at least once a week. People have been amazed that I keep such a well established highly stocked tank without constantly playing sientist with the water perameters or having any kind of reactors. In fact, I havn't even made the switch to RO water yet, but did pick up a unit recently.
I don't highly suggest people trying my way, but it's worked for me! My SPS corals have been doing amazingly great lately, and I picked up 8 more acro frags and some duncans today.

I will put up picks of the new stuff later, they have only been in the tank for an hour or so. The duncans are just starting to open, and the acro frags all look great, but have some coloring up to do.

Where did you get all your new goodies?

Got the duncans from Matt, ntswift (he owed me a frag for a while, and dropped them off earlier).
And I got the acros on a trade from a guy I met a while back through craigslist (I don't think he is in to the whole forum thing).

Very cool, nothing beats trades!

That's how I roll! I have gotten 75% of my corals and equipment through trading over the last 2 1/2 years.
I like to spread the wealth in case I ever lose one of my nice pieces too. Then I know where to get it back!

Wow!!! That thing is huge!! :eek: Very nice man!! I think I remember reading that clams are good for absorbing nitrates. If so, he should help a bit if you have any! Also, is that aiptasia around him?? If so, are you battling them or just letting them grow? :)

Wow!!! That thing is huge!! :eek: Very nice man!! I think I remember reading that clams are good for absorbing nitrates. If so, he should help a bit if you have any! Also, is that aiptasia around him?? If so, are you battling them or just letting them grow? :)

I have 5 clams now, and my nitrates are always darn near nothing. I do have just a few aiptasia that I've been meaning to kill, but the clam came from a tank infested with large aiptasia, and I just got the clam yesterday and havn't gotten around to killing them. Just giving it a while to adjust, and then I will either take it out and scrub it real good, or use a bunch of aiptasia-x.

Oh, and the other big aiptasia lookin' thingy is actually a curly-que anemone that I need to throw in the sump. I got it ages ago when I had lots of room because it was cool, but havn't had luck getting rid of it since. I put some rocks on and around it so it will stick to one and get chucked!

Last edited:
It's to the point where I can't really add anything new without getting rid of something else. I gave away a large rock covered with zoas the other day, and chucked a couple things in the sump. I'm never satisfied though, it is still constantly changing.:dizzy:

lol, when I read Krish's post this morning I thought to myself "where?"

Always changing is a good thing imo. Means you def aren't gonna get bored any time soon!

It's to the point where I can't really add anything new without getting rid of something else. I gave away a large rock covered with zoas the other day, and chucked a couple things in the sump. I'm never satisfied though, it is still constantly changing.:dizzy:

Haha!! I know!! You stock your tank more than an LFS does :lol:

Back