1guydude 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would also try and avoid hanging them with thin cable off whatever type of strut you end up with.

Whats the reasoning behind not liking what you currently have. I mean, it helps make the answer clearer.
You could use the 80/20 rather than the wood, still rest the lights like they are. You could could add vertical supports with the 80/20 so the lights can't shift...
What do you want to end up with?

Lights are good height wise and dont really shift around to much
The wood does have a slight bow to it.

My main problem or concern is the spread. The wood is blocking the light from spreading on the ends. I figured if i hung em right below it wouldnt get blocked and i could add a lil light to the outsides of the tank...if any of ny ramble just made sense. Lol
D

I had a idea Devin.
I think you could use 1" square aluminum tube from Lowes or HD similar to what I did here without the cross pieces, or riser part.
Or even order some of the same material and make a rectangular box.

http://eztube.com/products/aluminum-tube

The stuff is really easy to work with. The connectors are so simple and easy to use.

I like that!
How are the lights attached to it?

Machine screws with the thread pattern that is the same as the mounting holes on top of the light fixtures.
I used 2-1/2" long ones so I could have easy access to the control buttons on top

I actually really like that as well.
thinking it would be easy to paint and drill holes in and nut and bolt together myself. I might try and hang em from something similar. Now i have to find time to go get it and get it done, LOL.
I kinda wanna offset my lights a lil. Like one would be a lil more forward than the other well the other fixture would be back. That or i could just get another light.

1st water change on the sytem last night. Easy peasy no more hauling buckets. Wooohoooo
only did 25-30gal because the s.g. was a lil high and i wanted to empty some of it to get some fresh in there. Two smaller wc's close together should be better than 1 large 60g wc?! right? lol
-d

So i did get a piece of that aluminum and now i know i will prob need another light.
Upping my salinity this week.
Thats about all. Everyone plz post up on there build threads! I likes it a lots.
D

I basically just spaned it across the tank and tightened it down with the metal plumbers tape u see and a cpl screws.
Hopefully ill get some pix later
-d

Idk about value. Lol.
But they r nice. I enjoy them.
New 1s r wifi and cell phone compatible i believe. Slimmer as well.
Tanks getting there. Cpl of the new maricultured arent doing well but i think thats just the salinity swing/raise and my alk prob spiking
Uhg.
D

Back