1guydude 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Uhg needing good vibes, motivation, inspiration. Something to keep me sticking with this. I love meetong and talking to all the diffrent ppl. I love the coral and fish and relaxation i get but its almost a nvr ending $ pit. Thoughts?
Tanks
-devin

Uhg needing good vibes, motivation, inspiration. Something to keep me sticking with this. I love meetong and talking to all the diffrent ppl. I love the coral and fish and relaxation i get but its almost a nvr ending $ pit. Thoughts?
Tanks
-devin

It may seem like a never ending money pit, and in a way it is. But you will get to a point when all the big ticket items are bought. Once that's done, then you figure out a budget of what you can spend per week or month.
If a bigger something comes up, then it's all about saving/stashing the money away.
And while you are saving for that expensive piece of coral, the others are growing all the time.
It can be tough. I'm on a fixed income ( retired) and I really have to budget my money.

When you think long term goals, it gets easier, IMO.

Yup trying to b a mature reefer is hard! Lol
Thinking long term is the way to do it man.
Thxs for the reply mr mfinn, trying to stick with it.
D

Yup trying to b a mature reefer is hard! Lol
Thinking long term is the way to do it man.
Thxs for the reply mr mfinn, trying to stick with it.
D

Reef as if you're on a limited budget. The only time I can buy anything reef related is during tax return. So I get what's needed first then a couple of wants maybe. The rest of the year it's absolutely nothing. The rest of the year I maintain and watch my corals grow :)

Agree with nanareefer. Grab a jar. And put a fix amount of money in there per payday. That will be your budget. And stick to it.

I have been running minimalist on mine for 15 years. Although it's not high tech and does not have expensive corals. I do enjoy them a lot. Believe me as in minimalist. No time to take care of it. Wanted to quit several times. No water change since 2010. No dosing since 2012 since I ran out of BRS powder. No other input except flakes and the fresh water for top off. And only output is a small skimmer. And clean the glass when I am up for it. Maybe before a video or picture is taken. But they are still there hanging....

So maybe you can relax a little? And take it easy. We dont want you get burned with budget and just simply quit the hobby.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I am somewhat new to this forum. Spent the time today to read this thread from start to finish. You did well and are continuing to do well. Don't be bored. Now is the time when you sit back and admire your work. Yes WORK. And its paid off. Looks great! Without it you will feel like you're missing something. I know. I did this. Went without for 15 years after having about 1000 gallons in my home. (moved twice)
Put a sheet around it for week and see how much you miss it.
I for one look for your answers to my posts and general advice.
You should be proud of what you have. I for one am impressed. Good job.

Tom

Kinda funny how your money pit has bored a tunnel to my shop. LOL.
D you have a great foundation to an awesome system. Take your time. Choose your more spendy equipment wisely (and space them out). Took me near 3 years to get most all my gear together.
Get on top of your water, and stay on top of it. The rest will fall in place

Kinda funny how your money pit has bored a tunnel to my shop. LOL.
D you have a great foundation to an awesome system. Take your time. Choose your more spendy equipment wisely (and space them out). Took me near 3 years to get most all my gear together.
Get on top of your water, and stay on top of it. The rest will fall in place

Tank is currently broke down. Equipment being cleaned.
New sump and 1 1/2" seaswirls are on the way.
New larger plumbing to accomadate flow as well.
:/ sucks being in the middle of nowhere kinda with a bunch of $ spent.
Thanks for baring with me ppl. Should be good stuff coming down the pipeline in the future of this thread.
D

I think most of us in the hobby have had to do a "do over" at one time or another.
You plan the build and then after it gets going you find you need to make some changes.

If I can help, let me know.

Sometimes do-overs are the best thing that ever happened too. Struggling with something that isn't working well sucks. Its a pain to rip it down and start over, but more often than not, once you have it right, you wish you would done it sooner.

Ya...build it. Break it down. Build.it again hopefully better lol.
Hopefully i can get a.cpl ppl over.from the fb group to.help make a.plumbing list.
Plumbing is really all i need and plan it out and Doooo it.
Any1 have 299 gals of fresh .026 sw sitting around? Lol
Thinking 2nd initial fill up will be either with tap from the garden hose or store bought ro which would still prob be $60- $100. :/
-d

If you have a way to transport the water D, I can make it for you. I have at least 275 on hand at most times.

Last edited:
What is your TDS read right out of your tap? I started my 310 with tap water @ approx 29 TDS reading.
Sump should be done by Sunday the 22nd

Last time i checked which was awhile ago....it was prob 31-40 something. Ppm or ppt i cant remember.
Ill check it but if its below 50...im gon a gun it. Got the idea from u and ur build peppie!
-d

If you get your teleport working, beam me over there and I'll help out with plumbing.

You found a good manufacturer for your sump. You're on your way to being wet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back