1guydude 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Man, y'all made great progress this weekend!

I like the routed/sanded edging on the ends. I know one of the dogs (or myself) would end smacking into it.

How high up are your lights going to hang?

~V

Double stops D? So, "closed" height, and then you can raise and rest for small stuff, and then remove the entire way for big stuff/as needed?
Looks good!

? Idk what u mean sorry. Or asking?
It dosent raise or lower. I have to take the face board.off everytime i want in the tank.
Post #515 kinda shows the assembly.
The truss pieces are secured on the posts. They just.slide into.place. and are.attached with two.screws.each side.
D

attachment.php

See the two boards at the two arrows?
If they were used like I thought they were, then could have been able to rest on the ledger board on the trust, so that you had two positions. Closed (which would be normal canopy style), "Open" which would be tall enough to throw some fish food through, maybe reach something near to the edge, and Off which would be full access.
The middle position there is for the most part useless, but its what I thought I saw in the picture.

Capture.JPG

Ahhh i got what ur saying. That would have been nice.
But no i think that is just to stiffen up the truss or trust?
Maybe so the screws dont go through the wood all the way? Im not sure.
Peppie question. Lol
D

truss is correct, I fat fingered it.
it wouldn't have hurt to have it, but its not really a big deal either way.
You are making some really good changes.. Glad to see you moving forward

Thanks u stacy speizak. All to.make this tank run better and easier on me. Lol
Charge! Move fwd!
D

Added the rest of my live rock and majority of the fish over yesterday.
Fish included
2 perc clowns 1" or so
1 cinnamon tomato.clown 3"
1 reg kole tang 5"
1 candy stripe squirrelfish 4"
1 four stripe damsel 2"
1 azur damsel 3"
1 pencil urchin
And 2 engineer gobys 6"
Still have a yellow tang 3" and a chromis and damsel in the tub...o and my cleaner shrimp 1 pencil urchin and a star
Had more fish and coral than i thought.
Its nice to see it all.make it back in.
Lights will hopefully be up and running this coming weekend.
Than its final touches for that part of the build.
D

Last edited:
Alright, I have to ask, how bossy are your damsels? That's .. an awesome number of them (they're a definite favorite of mine). :D

Edit: And did you start with a single Chromis or .. did it just work itself out that way (I'd have thought with that number of Four Stripe Damsels that you'd have had enough aggression in the tank to make a Chromis group work)?

~V

Last edited:
Out of my 4 stripe damsel, azur damsel, talbot damsel....my cinnamon tomato.clown is prob the biggest jerk. Lol
I think when the damsels become larger i may have a problem. We will c.
D

Just two chromis to start with maybe 3 probably 6 or so months ago.
Id like a large pack of 20.or so but think ot would be a waste of money $$$. They will eventually dwindle down...
D

Just two chromis to start with maybe 3 probably 6 or so months ago.
Id like a large pack of 20.or so but think ot would be a waste of money $$$. They will eventually dwindle down...
D

FWIW, I bought 5 chromis once and they all lived for years. Of the 5 I got a mated pair that would spawn regularly.

That is really.kool.mfinn!
Imo they are like anthias. Even though anthias can be found deeper. They like to.pick smaller foods out.of the water.coloum. constantly swimming. Zooplankton or.phyto foods.
Maybe ill try a large school. Idk. Right now i just wanna get what i have in top shape. Both the tank and livestock.
D

Well added coral. The last three fish. A shrimp. A star. Cuc. And bam lights.
Tank is up and running. Just fine tuning and dialing in the overflow and skimmer.
I will be getting the smaller pump for the skimmer.
Gonna give it a week or two so everything gets light. Than ill take it apart and stain/paint. Than back up the next day

Also need a signal input wire for my lights. I can run three but the third ends up being at full power. Jessshh.
Qt and hospital holding tanks in the garage are another thing i wanna get going.
Time or $. One or the other is my barrier right now or later.
Am i making sense?! Lol
-dman

Good question and on point!
These two urchins are some.of the more harder working ones ive had exp. With.
Yes they are omnivore and probably dont care what they eat but for the most part they stay off the coral and on the rock. Ive tried tuxedos and long spines as well. The longspine was just dangerous. Lol
The tuxedos seemed lazy.
If u look em up on liveaquaria. It says they eat sponge and other microfauna stuff that is probably beneficial to the reef. That imo is why they arent reef safe. Not gonna say they have never damaged a coral of mine. Just that they are semi reef safe imo. Like an angelfish or butterfly.
Edit. Tried two rock burrowing urchins with no luck even acclimating em.

Back