250gal Island tank project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A tiny new addition... Red Pocillopora

Red%20Pocillopora.jpg

Hi Mark,

Fabulous tank! :D Two questions: what is the common name for the Pocillopora? And where did you get that fabulous rock/branched tonga from? I love it!

Hi Jan,

I believe the common name is Cauliflower coral. The Pocillopora Coral is a SPS coral. I understand it has also been referred to as Bird's Nest, Lace, Cluster, or Brush Coral. I have two frags. The smallest one is red and I believe to be not so common. The other is brownish but has hints of green/blue. I think this is the most common.

Okay here is the first pics of a pair of cleaner shrimp I picked up. They are hanging mostly in the cave but have come out a couple of times together. They seem to be buddies... once they found each other after the first night, they haven't separated.

cleaner%20shrimp%20pair.JPG

Okay it has been almost a month without posting to my own tank project thread. Not because I have been dormant but rather because of my day job and lots of research on where to take my tank next. I can say thanks especially to Dang, and to Flo and Andy at Saltwater City, I have added some more fish and coral to my tank which was definitely ready for some new inhabitants!

I have to say that taking pictures of corals is 100 times easier than fish! Composition, focus and timing is very difficult with fast moving fish.

Here are a couple shots of my recent additions. Not necessarily in order of introduction. Here are a few shots taken the last couple of days.

This one thanks to Dang! I traded some of my blue legged hermits and he surprised me with this birds nest. Dang promised me the 'official' names later.

Corals%2001.JPG

Last edited:
The other prized frag that Dang brought me was this beautiful turquoise purple tipped acro. At least that's what I am calling it until he corrects me.

Corals%2002.JPG

This Green Slimer (Bali Tort) is from Barrier Reef. I hope this someday looks like Class Clown's! I haven't yet decided exactly where to mount him and I also want to add some more LR so he is still resting on his 'peg'.

green%20slimer%20-%20bali%20tort.JPG

Unfortunately I was only able to briefly attend the PSAS meeting on patty's day but did manage to walk away with a few frags from the 'Fragman'!

Corals%2003.JPG

Last edited:
My first hammerhead... I have been made aware that I should have some 'moving' corals in the tank as well. This coming from a female that says, "all you men seem to like the sticks and boring ones". So to answer that I added the following. This one under the actinics only.

Corals%2004.JPG

Ok it's morning! Where are the pictures????? :D J/K. Wow I love your tank and this thread. And to think I used to read books... :lol: .

Everything is really georgous. Thanks for sharing! :)

Debbie the blue devil damsel :badgrin: (DTBDD) (I used to have one not sure if she was meaner or tht black velvet damsel won the prize...:rolleyes: )

Okay some fish pics... a little harder to photograph as they move about a bit more than the corals :D

Young male Mystery Wrasse
Mystery-Wrasse---Young-Male.jpg

Young Kole Tang
Kole-tang.jpg

Romboid Wrasse Juvenile
Romboid-Wrasse-Juvenile.jpg

Back