312 Gallon Tank Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just curious why you are only going with 20 inches of height on the aquarium? With that amount of depth, more height would give you a lot more freedom to aqauscape, and give your corals more room to grow in to before they start blocking the rock structure and corals that are towards the rear part of the aquarium. Just my 2 cents coming from a guy with a 47 wide x 31 deep x 19 high aquarium.

Iv'e seen some very nice lagoon tanks with this layout. basically the rockscape is a big dome in the middle. gives you a real nice perspective across the whole 5 feet. can't wait to see how it turns out!

Why i went for 20" deep is the easy of maintenance and reaching things. Also in my 120g tank it is made up of 5 huge rocks (around 30-40lbs each) and i am going to set those up as their own little islands. Each island will be setup for specific species of coral. Acropora Island, Montipora Island, Cyphastrea Island, Chalice Island, and Seriatopora Island. As an example the Acropora island will have branching acros in the center and tabling acros along the edge of the rock. Each one of this rocks will be situated under a radion led. The shallow depth also allows me to hang the lights higher up, this tank is setup so as long as you are over 5' tall you can look down into it.

A few more parts
IMAG0331_zps943caf1b.jpg

skimmer in action
IMAG0332_zpsa3b50150.jpg

So here is my list of build parts so far
Four ecotech radions
Two ecotech hanging kits
Two ecotech MP 40
Korallin C3002 calcium reactor
Reef Octopus SRO 5000 INT with bubble blaster 5000 pump
Neptune controller with DC 8 power bar and two ph probes
BRS dual media reactor
Two little fishes kalk stirrer
Two 1.5" seaswirls
Hammerhead/barracuda hybrid pump
60' 1.5" black spa flex hose
Eight 1.5" bulkheads
Twelve 1.5" true unions
Coral revive
high and low ph calibration fluid
ARM calcium media
BRS carbon and phosphate remover
Elos test kits for nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alk, magnesium, and ph
CO2 bottle and regulator with selonoid
Two maxijet 1200
Mag 3 pump
Two 300 watt ebojager heaters

You must be quite excited!!
You know once you get started on this you will begin to run out of excuses to call in sick. LOL
I assume you have good cell cast there??
Please provide some pics of your sump construction.
How are you going to prep your edges?
Weldon 3 or 4 ?
Pins? or capillary?

Im not sure on the build specifics. I have a guy from Portland coming up to assemble it. Too large to put together in his shop. Im confident in his build skills, hes been building everything acrylic for several years now from tanks to skimmers.

Tagging along as well! Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Sent From my Frontal Lobes via TapaTalk!!

Im guessing its a reprint, i got it as a Christmas Gift about 15 years ago. My folks ordered it from LucasArts

Im using a hammer head pump as a return which is rated at 5800 gph. That in turn is going through two 1.5" seaswirls that will each handle 3,800 gph. Now here is the tricky part. I am going to loose some pressure due to having to pump water about 5' up. What the flow rate coming out of the seawirls is going to be im not sure. Im going to guesstimate around 4000 gph. So the coast to coast over flow is split into two separate chambers. Each chamber will feature a bean animal overflow made of 1.5" pvc. Figured each overflow will handle 1,500 gph. So with two that will be 3000 gph. This gives me 1000 gph in theory that the overflow might not be able to handle. So i can either dial the pump down, or as the bean animal design it would push more water through the secondary pipe hopefully absorbing the entire 4000 gph. We will see what happens once the tank is up. Ill be running it a couple of days with just fresh water to test for leaks and play with flow rate.

That is a good plan. You can -T- off the return line with a gate valve to reduce the water flowing back into the DT. Some pumps are not effected by throtteling them down on the out board side, but if you use the -T- split with a valve you can run the pump wide open.
I dont think you will have a problem with your overflow because of the fact you are using 1 1/2'' bulkheads in your BA. I believe the original design calls for a reduction to 1'' at the bulkheads, then step back up to the 1 1/2''. I also believe that the secondary pipe will handle the extra overflow of approx 1000 gph.

Back